Power Cut

13STI

Hey everyone, I bought a 2013 STI in September. I saved up and stock pilled parts, (while waiting for tune). Now that every thing is in my STI ran like a champ for two days or so. Then out of the blue stuff started hitting the fan. At 9lbs of boost my AFR is 9.3-9.4, at 3000 RPM, then power cuts and boost drops. As the turbo spools up and builds boost going through the RPM the (power band) is a lot more rugged or "not as smooth" as it was 2 days before hand. After getting home that night i put her in the barn with a heater to take a look at her. My Accessport read a cylinder 2 misfire. So just to check it out i started her up and the STI was back fireing and shaking violently. So i shut her down, i next took a trip to the auto store and picked up plugs, i changed out cylinder 2 to find out that it is extremely dirty, i thought it was fouled so i changed it expecting positive results. I started her back up, she ran a little better but still boost issue.
Help PLEASE!!! :(
Mods
Upgraded 22mm Sways all around
spherical endlinks
Strut Tower brace
pitch stop mount
up pipe
down pipe
cat back exhaust
AEM Boost/Wide band Fail Safe
AEM Oil Pressure
Cobb tune
K&N tpyphoon 2 intake
and little odds and ends everywhere

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Boost leak check as well.

Have you at least done a few visual checks to make sure any hose clamps you may have adjusted during your install are still seated properly, and that everything was firmly bolted down?

Moved to engine forum.

Last edited:

SeeeeeYa

I don't remember Cobb having a tune for the K&N Typhoon intake. Running a car with a stage2 AP tune that has not been tuned specifically for the K&N Typhoon can lead to learned fuel trims to pull fuel, especially under high boost and load. Sometimes this kills an engine.

I hope you omitted mention of your protune... in this case switch injectors first and recheck plugs, then failing there switch coil packs, etc

Maybe the first thing you should do is remove the oil filler cap with the engine idling. It should not emit puffs of air. You should be able to rest the cap on the filler tube and the cap just jiggle, but NOT blow off.

Last edited:

13STI

thanks guys I was over looking all my hoses today and found out that it was a boost leak by my IC. To answer your question^ I am running a aem intake stage 2 tune.

SeeeeeYa

thanks guys I was over looking all my hoses today and found out that it was a boost leak by my IC. To answer your question^ I am running a aem intake stage 2 tune.

You have a 2013 STi running a Cobb Stg2+AEM tune... but don't have an AEM CAI, and instead are using a K&N Typhoon intake? Good luck with that.

Having a 2011 STi also with an AP with the Stg2+AEM map as my base, and actually using an AEM CAI, it has still taken many months to ensure my AFRs are on target and my LTFTs aren't trying to slit my car's throat behind my back. Not speaking for everyone, but on my car the AEM MAF CAL from Cobb in this tune is off by several percent. Therefore, unless you or someone has also ensured that your MAF CAL is matched to your car you may be setting yourself up for future grief.

SeeeeeYa

I will also add, while a vacuum leak will surely make your car run poorly, it will not be cylinder-specific. That is, you said cylinder 2's plug was extremely fouled... a vacuum leak alone will not cause only one cylinder to be this way.

Datalog your car's operation, starting with less power, and ensure you are OK before going further.