Problems with my 2004 sti

junkwasp

Please help
I have a 2004 sti the battery died which I replace the car started fine runs mint but I don't drive it much when I go to start it after a while like a day the car doesn't start but if I disconnect the battery it's starts first time and does until I leave it sitting in the garage
Any ideas
There also a switch on the drivers side of the centre console what does that do

Cheers

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Show us a pic of the switch.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Sounds like an electrical short or drain somewhere depleting the charge. Obviously, when you disconnect the battery the drain can't happen anymore. Hook the battery up and there is a constant depletion of the batteries charge.

This will be the most frustrating problems and fix , IMO.

I hear a lot of this happening when aftermarket alarms and stereo systems are installed. Do you have any aftermarket electronics on the car?
Pics of the switch.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I hear a lot of this happening when aftermarket alarms and stereo systems are installed. Do you have any aftermarket electronics on the car? Pics of the switch.

:tup:

I agree. Back in the day, my Integra had the same issue. It turned out that the remote wire, connecting my amplifier to the head unit, came loose from the back of the head unit. This caused the amplifier to remain powered even after the car was shut off. I have a feeling that the switch you mentioned has something to do with this issue.

Do you have a multimeter handy? Are you electrically savvy? What, if anything, does the switch seem to do?

* Because the 2004's security system was not equipped with an immobilizer, some people have installed a switch (though it is generally hidden under the dash or elsewhere) to cut the power from the fuel pump, to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle. That was the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the switch. I've seen others use a switch to cut the vehicle's battery or ignition lines as well. I'm really curious to find out what your switch is for.

Last edited:

junkwasp

Na battery seems all good I just have to disconnect for a few seconds then starts first time
Then the car starts first time all day
Thinking is there a sequence I have to do when the car ecu resets sounds random but I have to ask the question
Posted a pic of switch
5731a7ee5e86d7899963cb9d0a0fb4e3.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
That switch appears aftermarket. Does it seem to do anything at all? It reminds me of a laser jammer system power switch.

ej25subie05

take off the shifter boot assembly and take a peak at that switch. is it even connected? if so where do the wires go?

let me get this straight. your saying if you go to start the car with battery hooked up right now it won't start. but once you unhook battery for a couple seconds and hook it back up car will start right away?

what all is done to your car? have aftermarket fuel pump or anything of the such?

i had a subaru that had aftermarket fuel system in it. had a bosche 044 external pump, internal walbro and another one i can't remember. it wouldn't start unless you turn the key for at least 3-4 seconds to let the pumps build fuel pressure.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
let me get this straight. your saying if you go to start the car with battery hooked up right now it won't start. but once you unhook battery for a couple seconds and hook it back up car will start right away?

This makes no sense to me either.

I know it sounds ridiculously simple but I've had a very similar issue in the past...try cleaning the battery posts and battery cable terminals with a wire brush, then apply some dielectric grease to each. Hell, even wiping all residue off the top of the battery itself is a good idea. It's more common that you think to have an oily film on the battery that actually shorts current from post to post.

Last edited:

ej25subie05

haha i know right. but here is something i had in mind and reason i asked if he had a aftermarket fuel setup or something else.

i have the quick shut off power switch in my car. when i turn it off and back on my gauges come on and all that good stuff (not sure about my current fuel pump, but the other sti i had would come on) but maybe when he reconnects the battery it gives something enough time to prime or do its thing so when he goes to start the car it fires.

OP we need more info (i mean i need more info so i can rule out the fuel system lol)

next time you try to fire the car turn the key fully on. let your gauges do the sweeping motion, wait for fuel pump(s) to stop pumping, turn key off again and do this twice more. then try to start it and let us know how that works. (mine won't start once ecu is reset unless you do what i just mentioned)

it can be a million things and we need more info about your car. otherwise I'm just giving suggestions on whats in my head that could be wrong with it.

junkwasp

Will do
I live in nz and I'm lucky enough to have possem Bourne mechanic just down the road he ain't got a clue either as he is just mechanical
Neither does subaru.
The car is totally stock as far as I know bought it off some middle aged lady with 37000k on the clock around 2000miles
It's driving me mad
The car was perfect changed battery and the problem started
After a day the car try's to start it turns so defo could be fuel
I only drive the car twice a month
I've tried turning the key on and off five times as you suggested I'm off work today I'm going to try turn the engine give times see if that does the trick
I wonder if there is a factory immobilizer when I disconnect the bat it resets
Just going back to that switch it doesn't mater if it's on or of we I disconnect the bat it starts first time
Thanks for your help guys

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I wonder....... maybe a main/ignition relay is sticking?

If you haven't dis/re-connected the battery and you try to start the car, do you hear anything? Clicks, etc.? Also, do any of the cars electronics function, or is everything dead until you dis/re-connect the battery? IF car electronics work but the car does not start, that may point us in the right direction.

I don't know for sure about the ignition switches in Subarus, but some ignition switches have components that when they go bad, they can "electrically stick" and/or hold a charge until the battery is removed. IF this is the case, the car's electronics will probably still work even though you can't crank the starter.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Jog anyone's memory?

Last edited:

junkwasp

When I disconnect then replace straight away
What I decided to do is keep trying to start the car until the battery died
Just before the battery died the car started I then tried to start again the car started first time
Will try again after leaving for a day I wonder if there is some sort of learn sequence after removing the battery
Any thoughts

ej25subie05

yes after you disconnect battery ecu resets. thats why it won't start right away and you need to do what i told you (at least for my car) cycle key a few times fully. if it doesn't start after third cycle crank it a few seconds, stop and turn key fully off again and it should fire right up the next time. I hope you have good gas in your car. these things don't like crappy gas.