Quick Questions:

fallenone121

On Vacation
1) Next year I will be trying to do a measure of items off of my plan lists including fuel rails, injectors, intakes, exhaust - however - I live at least two hours from any form of reasonable tuner for after the work is done and where the tuners are located the labor would be 90$ per hour while local labor would be half that for the installations. My first question is that while I know the tuning is required will I need to have the car towed to be tuned or will the car be driveable enough to go the two hours to get to the destination to be tuned? I can take a cab once there to a hotel for a place to stay while it is being tuned

2) My second question is in regards to swaybars...I have always received different answers about it when asked...I have read different answers on different sites...according to what I have read the stock swaybars are 20mm...I was looking into changing them out for an improved swaybar set front and rear but I was wondering what sizes would be the best idea. I havent tried track type activities yet and mostly so far my STI has been a DD. I have been told by perrin that 25mm/25mm is the most common. I have read in several places that staggering the sizes front and rear are suggested to keep the steering proper. What stagger is best? I asked others who had swaybars installed on their STIs about the sizes they put on and why they put them on the way they did but noone ever answers. What sizes do you suggest front and rear and why?

fallenone121

On Vacation
Presently I have done nothing so far as suspension is concerned to the STI. I am still doing what research I can find out what would be the best idea. I have not tried going to track or anything and so far have just been doing things on a DD basis.

As far as towing goes I just have to find out what it will cost to get it towed the two hours to get it moved from Battle Creek MI to either Detroit or Chicago. In the end it should definately be worth it if labor for the install of parts will be 40$ more per hour...and the hours will definately rack up installing all of the goodies.

Last edited:

fallenone121

On Vacation
I imagine it will be over 10 hours of labor for the installation of the parts...which locally would be 500$ minimum...sending it for install nearer to the tuner would be 1000$ minimum...

Just have to find out the price to tow on flatbed three to four hours.

In the end by the looks of it it may not matter xD

The tow price might be around the same as the extra on the labor price.

ZachTTLM

Far as the trasportation goes, definitly tow it.

As Bubba mentioned you want to be carefull with going swaybars without upgrading the lateral links. I recommend Whiteline 24mm adjustable front and rear set matched with their endlinks and a set of lateral links. Contact us when you are ready and we will cut you an unbeatable package deal.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Any good tuner should be able to give you a limp tune to get you to the shop. Cobb and many others I know do it all the time.

Are you running Open Source or Cobb?

If worse comes to worse we can help you out with a limp tune no problem, provided you are running Open Source or Cobb. Try your tuner first though.

ZachTTLM

Good Point holy there are plenty of people that can send you an online tune to download to your accessport and so on. Just be careful and ensure they are respectable known guys.

ZachTTLM

Having a "stiff" feeling car isnt always that good of an idea... In fact most times just cause the car feels stiff doesnt mean it is actually doing its job and in fact is slowing your car down and potentially hurting it...

This is where the adjustable bars are nice. Helps you set your handling for the best feel/ride.

GA Scooby

This the first thread I've ever read on a sway bar question where the consensus is equal front and rear adjustable bars are the right ones to go with. RCE bars or Whiteline bars. Rear set to stiff and front set to soft should promote neutral turn in on stock springs.

fallenone121

On Vacation
I dont 'yet' have any tuner setup put in but it WILL be cobb come next year. Looking at going Cobb Stage II with Cobb intake and Cobb Upipe. I just need to contact a tuner to get the limp tune done to get me there. Just need to find out if the Troy or Chicago tuner shop would be better. I have asked on three different STI related sites and answers are never truly similar.

fallenone121

On Vacation
Been looking at the 24 Whiteline adjustables front and rear and IIR has a control arm lateral link combo from whiteline. That should take care of the suspension goodies part of the question.

The tuning once I make up my mind on finding a reliable tuner I will work on that then...the limp tune is a likely possibility...

rek888v2, when you were referring to 'pay for everything' what were you meaning? xD The parts? the flight? the tune? xD

I dont have a lift or anything so the buildup would be harder.

ZachTTLM

Been looking at the 24 Whiteline adjustables front and rear and IIR has a control arm lateral link combo from whiteline. That should take care of the suspension goodies part of the question.

PM me or Email me when you are ready for pricing, we offer the lateral link kits as well as the bars and other components. I am not allowed to list prices on certian items as low as I offer them to the IGOTA members.

fallenone121

On Vacation
PM me or Email me when you are ready for pricing, we offer the lateral link kits as well as the bars and other components. I am not allowed to list prices on certian items as low as I offer them to the IGOTA members.

If I sent lists now (when I dont yet have the money saved up) can I get pricing before I am quite ready?

fallenone121

On Vacation
haha, I always said if someone flew me up and gave me some cash, Id do a build!

One thing I may consider doing is when I buy the parts taking a road trip to NC to your shop...have you do the install of the tune-required parts and the tune...that way I had a nice drive home with the tuned and built up subie to relish the drive. That way it can almost be like a vacation xD Pay for a hotel, see what is out there beyond my comfort zone.

That way I have a reliable shop and all doing the install AND tune xD

Tune-required items being: Intake, Injectors, Exhaust, Turbo - right?