Quick suspension question

okay not sure if this is the right section to post this in. my question is what is this part? it was in a box of stuff that the previous owner gave me. since I'm still sort of new to the subaru world i have no clue on what it is. someone help me please it'd be much appreciated

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Its a subframe brace. I'll google a bit more and tell you more.

thanks! ended up finding it on rallysportdirect but i do appreciate it! anyone know if it utilizes stock mounting hardware?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The u-brace it attaches to (and strengthens) uses some pretty long bolts. I bet that this simply requires backing out the OEM bolts and putting this on. I think you'll have plenty of clearance with the stock bolts and not need any new ones. Not guaranteed, but a good bet

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have this piece on my car. I've only seen it called an h-brace.

Subframe brace or H-brace. Looks like all the eBay ones I've seen (and have one sitting in the garage still, eventually it'll go in). It uses the stock hardware from what I recall.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have this piece on my car. I've only seen it called an h-brace.

I've considered buying one as well. Did it seem to make any noticeable improvements?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It did something for sure but i installed the h brace and both front and rear strut bars at the same time.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Personally, I'm skeptical. I mean, more bracing is always better, but i think that will give marginal stiffening of the u-brace, which is already not intrinsically structural (ie not the frame of the car). I removed the u-brace to which it attaches for something like 50lbs weight savings. If i were really concerned with stiffness, I'd get the oswald replacement.

On a related note, a HUGE improvement in stiffness is any of the X-brace substitutes. I did the Home-Depot version of the litespeed Chassis Bridge for something like $15, with half of that going towards buying stuff "just in case" to prevent a return trip to the store. Theres a video where someone removed the bottom anchors of the x-brace and shows video on the track. There is significant movement. I dont know that i noticed it on the track per-se, but it did eliminate lots of creaks when going over an uneven bump (think pulling into a gas station over the curb gradient). Check it out!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have an x brace as well. Were talking about the one directly behind the rear seats right? Unfortunately i paid $100 for mine from whatever company it was. Im sure the diy is the same shit.

Show a pic of yours.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have an x brace as well. Were talking about the one directly behind the rear seats right? Unfortunately i paid $100 for mine from whatever company it was. Im sure the diy is the same shit.

Show a pic of yours.
I've got the Cusco rear strut bar with V brace (same idea as the X brace). I felt that it made a big difference in tightening up the rear end.

Running the Oswald triangle brace back there, didn't feel much of a difference compared the Cusco triangle brace it replaced, I felt a good bit of difference when the Cusco first was in. So triangle brace was definitely worth especially with the lower price I got through the group buy.