Raspy Exhaust :(

SleepyBear

so i have a really raspy exhaust from about 2500rpm to 3300ish rpms at 1/2 throttle or more. I have a 3" catless downpipe mated to a 2.5" magnaflow catback exhaust with a 4" tip. i also have a cheap ebay exhaust manifold on my sti. Im thinking about switching to either the Invidia Race N1 catback exhaust or the Invidia Street to see what that does. What are your thoughts on this? i deff haaaate the sound from that rpm range though!!!!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
so i have a really raspy exhaust from about 2500rpm to 3300ish rpms at 1/2 throttle or more. I have a 3" catless downpipe mated to a 2.5" magnaflow catback exhaust with a 4" tip. i also have a cheap ebay exhaust manifold on my sti. Im thinking about switching to either the Invidia Race N1 catback exhaust or the Invidia Street to see what that does. What are your thoughts on this? i deff haaaate the sound from that rpm range though!!!!!

Definitely don't go with the N1. It will be worse... This is exactly what my car has now along with some cheapy headers and it is horribly raspy in that range and obnoxiously loud. If I didn't have so much power and torque I would go with something a bit milder but I'm power hungry so I will keep my current setup for a while. The cobb 3" exhaust aleviates much of that but the only way to get rid of the raspiness completely is to go with a header or manifold that has the two into one pipe configuration from both cylinder banks. Some headers with smaller diameter runners also work well like the Borla. Also stay with the stock size up-pipe. The larger ones provide less back pressure but contribute heavily to the raspiness.

You might be able to search and look at the members journals to see what others are using. Possibly ask them there impressions. I have seen many setups and some sound raspy and others don't.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Definitely don't go with the N1. It will be worse... This is exactly what my car has now along with some cheapy headers and it is horribly raspy in that range and obnoxiously loud. If I didn't have so much power and torque I would go with something a bit milder but I'm power hungry so I will keep my current setup for a while. The cobb 3" exhaust aleviates much of that but the only way to get rid of the raspiness completely is to go with a header or manifold that has the two into one pipe configuration from both cylinder banks. Some headers with smaller diameter runners also work well like the Borla. Also stay with the stock size up-pipe. The larger ones provide less back pressure but contribute heavily to the raspiness.

How come mine don't sound like that Holy. My sounds great and not raspy at all. Mine is deep and toned pretty low.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Do you have the N1 and what headers are you using. I have the N1 Race, The V2 catted downpipe, and a GT-Spec knock off header with a 2.5" up-pipe and mine is raspy and loud as hell.

The N1 on stock manifold... or stock like manifold is great sounding... Just as you describe.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have stock headers with the Invidia V3 DP and Invidia N1 Street exhaust not the race version.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I think it is the headers that is giving the raspiness... The stock headers are your saving grace and I know it sounds real nice! I'm jealous because mine use to sound like that.

Ever since I put my headers on it lost the rumble. I fear that if he does go with the N1 he is going to end up in my situation.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Also I apologize for just balsting it out there after you posted that the N1 would be great... I missed your first post and it sounded like I was disagreeing with you hard... Sorry!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Also I apologize for just balsting it out there after you posted that the N1 would be great... I missed your first post and it sounded like I was disagreeing with you hard... Sorry!

It's ok Holy. I forgive you brother. :)

Next time it happens your working OT forum only. :rofl:

Last edited:

SleepyBear

Every other day the raspy sound goes away, or barely hear I, to where it completely sounds like shit in that certain rpm range. I'm going to check the honeycomb in the can. Where is the best place to get some stock headers and uppipe.

SleepyBear

Had Mikey drive my Sti down to Spec Ops and had a stock exhaust manifold put on. Nearly all the raspy shit noise is gone!! :)

Bluedemon_II

I used to have a Maddad equal length header and a tomey unequal length with a Helix DP EWG dumping to atmosphere, a custom made catback with a magnaflow muffler. I used to have that raspy honda like sound but I solved it with a resonator. My car was loud as hell and cops love it >.>

SleepyBear

I was the guy with teh cast at the VA tuning trip. I also wrote that love letter for you about your car and what needs to be done.

^^^ i remember now! well anyways i appreciate that "love" letter deff help me out. You wouldn't happen to know where the sensor is for the outside temp gauge is would you? My gauge reads ---F