RCE Yellows and Sways combo

Cujo159

Since this is a fairly new forum I wanted to go ahead and do a write up of a pure RCE Yellow Springs and sways set up for those that haven't fully committed to coilovers, or do not wish to go that in depth. My current goal for my GR 2011 STI Sedan is to set up the suspension perfectly for a mix of DD/track/Autox. Lacking funds to get full coilovers, I decided to go with this set up to hold me over.

Here is the Review.

RCE Yellow and Sways Combo on a 2011 GR Sedan.

As we all know the stock set up leaves a lot to be desired when taking corners. Turn in isnt very crisp, it doesn't bite the turn until the body roll has finished it's translation to the side, and understeer plagues you through any hard corner. To semi remidy this I purchase the RCE yellows and Sways Combo and had TiC install them as I didn't have a way of compressing the springs. I would recommend doing them yourselves as it's a good learning experience, however, if you're like me and lack the necessary equipment to accomplish it safely (compressing springs without taking face off), have a reputable shop do it as well.

I also had them install some front camber bolts and dial in -1.8 deg of front camber.

Impressions:

Much better! Turn in is twice as crisp and body roll cut in half. Normally, with the stock suspension, when taking a corner, you've be thinking, "man this body roll is bad and the understeer sucks!" With this mod it will set your mind at ease and you'll no longer be thinking this while taking a corner, you'll simply take the corner with increase confidence. Mind you this is in no way equatable to coilovers, however if you're seeking that great middle ground, this is for you. Hands down the best mod I've done to date. I know it's cliche to say, but this is literally how the STI should handle from the factory.

Side note:
Some of my research happened me across and interesting fact. The new S206 STI Sedan uses RCE Yellow Springs and the Blisten GTWORK strut set up offered by RCE. So if you want your STI to handle almost identically to the S206, go for those.

I've yet to track or autox this set up however I will update my post as soon as I do.

Hope this all helps yall! Here are the pictures!

On the lift

6480600181_b9b8c3cba4_z.jpg

6480601717_ae312fdd7a_z.jpg

After install. It sits a little lower obviously but no where near enough to make it scrape on anything. Also there is no rubbing with the stock wheels. Anything wider would definitely need the fenders rolled flat. Depending on width and offset they may need pulling as well.

6480603039_92dd23ae72_z.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thank you for that review. :tup:

STimedic

I have been using RCE yellows since doing my swap....it doesn't help that my struts are blown. Looking at either Foutune Dreadnaughts or if I can't swing those, BC's in the future. They did right by me, just looking for a better setup.

Cujo159

I have been using RCE yellows since doing my swap....it doesn't help that my struts are blown. Looking at either Foutune Dreadnaughts or if I can't swing those, BC's in the future. They did right by me, just looking for a better setup.

Was it your stock struts that blew? If you're looking for a quality set up, from my research and talking with others, get yourself a set of RCE Coils, KW2's I think are for the GD and I thing Tarmacs as well. I have a friend with a GD STI that kills everyone at autox with KW2's. He's easily a dozen-ish second faster than me each run.