Relocating stock oil pressure sensor.

Hello all, I am currently in middle of rebuilding my engine and was thinking of relocating my stock oil pressure sensor to the rear oil galley plug, right below the flywheel access port, and was wondering what everyone thinks about this.

Reasons for moving factory pressure switch to rear galley plug are as follows:
1) sensor only kicks on below 2.1PSI and above 140PSI (according to FSM)
2) front oil galley plug offers better readings for oil pressure guage.
3) minimal effort to re-route wire while intake manifold is off
4) less clutter below Alternator.

Thoughts and discussions about this are appreciated.

Raven

:04ftw:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I would use your "better" oil pressure location for an aftermarket gauge. As you've pointed out, the stock one basically goes off when you've ALREADY ruined your motor. 2.1 PSI might as well be 0 PSI.

I don't know if you can turn off the oil pressure warning light and just remove the stock "gauge" entirely, but if you can I'd just go aftermarket. Actually, can you re-program the stock light for a higher threshold?

Don't know but the stock sensor does not have the resolution as I understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
As Grinder pointed out the stock switch is basically useless so why occupy a known good port with a crappy switch when you can replace it with a true reading sensor.

As for programming the switch to change it's threshold point, it is not possible unless you are replacing it entirely with new hardware that does what you are looking for. You could find a gauge that has built in alarms but they can get pricey. Or you could do what I would do and program your own little module to replace the existing switch. Because of my recent oil pump issues I will be building some audible alarms into my multi-gauge.

I'm thinking of a new project now... I will call it "The Smart IdiotLight" :tard:

What it could do is sense both oil pressure, temperature and RPM and you could derive a number of thresholds for a variety of conditions because, though the oil pressure is variable, it should still remain consistent (even constant) for a given condition. One example would be cruising on the highway above 2200 rpm and on a hot motor, my oil pressure remains a constant 72-80 psi. If for some reason it should fall below that for this particular condition, I would want to be alerted. Then on the other end of the scale would be idle on a hot motor. Mine stays between 28 and 35 psi and I would want to be alerted if it falls bellow that during this condition but for cruising, this threshold would be too low and too late to respond in time. It would also apply an automatic correction factor to the threshold values to allow compensation for oil temperatures colder or hotter than ideal operating temperature and it can also incorporate temperature alarm thresholds as well.

Thats some good logic, basically my original idea was to use the good port in front of my engine to monitor the actual pressure with my mechanical gauge for time being and re-locate the dum dummy switch to rear of the block next to crank case breather to shut up the light and ECU. Hopefully after I get the motor back together and get new injectors for the motor i will be abel to start building you multi gauge display.

On another thought have you ever thought about running a few different oil pressure sensors on your engine in various space's just to see what the oil pressure is at different locations at the same time? I have always wonders how much actual pressure drops off on different area's of the motor while its running. While I cant think of any reasons on how this would be beneficial I would still like to better understand more about the motor.