Sea Foam and my Engine???

I wanted to hit up the engine gurus here on IGOTASTi before I do something :tard:. Two months ago I ran some injector cleaner though my 2004 with 83000 miles and now I got a tic that is driving me crazy. Not too sure if it is the injectors or not so on the last oil change (about a month ago) I cut open the filter and there where no brass/metal flakes or any other signs that it was a bearing. Car runs perfect (after Holys etune) but now I have to listen to this god damn noise. Any help or advise would be welcomed.

I need a project to do this weekend!!! I would like to completely Sea Foam my engine but not too sure how my engine will take it (subarus a picky little things) I know my mustang would glup that stuff down fart it out the rear with a smoke screen and call it clean. I plan on putting a can in the gas tank (might replace the fuel filter wile Im at it after Sea Foam of course) , 7oz in the oilpan (100 miles then and oil change), the rest of the can down the BPV hose and some Sea Foam deep creep down the throttle body. Any problems I should know about before I mess something up??? and FUCK the guy next door, he wants to complain about how loud my exhaust is??? (its not that loud hell I have the baffle in it) just wait until he gets the Sea Foam smoke screen from hell.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What oil are you running in your STi?

I'm running Shell T6 right now. I'm due for an oil change anyway need to get the napa filter in after learning about the psi for the bypass valve. With Mobile 1 I had to add a quart and a half in 3000 miles (I thought I had a problem) but with the T6 not one drop was added in 3000 miles

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks can sound like ticking.
I have a very long screwdriver that I use as a stethoscope. Place the blade end on wherever you want to listen and then jam the handle in your ear. Presto! Dr grease monkey listening for where ticks and other strange noises come from.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm running Shell T6 right now. I'm due for an oil change anyway need to get the napa filter in after learning about the psi for the bypass valve. With Mobile 1 I had to add a quart and a half in 3000 miles (I thought I had a problem) but with the T6 not one drop was added in 3000 miles

You need to try Amsoil Dominator. Best stuff out there for our cars. Trust me.

I used my stethoscope only thing I could find ticking was my injectors unless its an exhaust/intake valves, could be a cam tick but I dont know how prone the 2.5 is to valvetrain noise? Any suggestions on the Sea Foam treatment? I really just need to know if it is safe? I probably will do a write up on it too along with how to remove/install properly gap spark plugs and compression test. I've been really lazy this month.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I never used it as my STi only has 13,500 miles on it, lol. :rofl:

Sorry I wish I could help on this one.

LOL I think I heard something about that? What was it again? Oh thats right trailer queen!!! :sorry: 04 FTW. I need to get some more pics up I have made some drastic (to me) but subtle (to everyone else) changes

I will give the Sea Foam a try if it blows up it will just give me a reason to get a new engine and get rid of the tic all in one shot

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Lets not be hasty :D. Can you post a sound bite of the ticking noise? I have used SeaFoam before but only as a last resort.

Also JJ's suggestion to run only AMS oil from this point forward is spot on. Nothing beats its resistance to shear forces which is why I recommended it as an oil to use for all future changes after the tune. Yes it is expensive but it is the single most important thing NOT to skimp on for your motor. This is experience speaking :tup:

I did a BS test of that stuff. I have an engine shortblock I'm planning to recondition. It was pulled for oil consumption and has severe carbon buildup in the domes and skirts. So I pulled one of the pistons and soaked it for 24 hours in seafoam. I posted before and after images. I'm planning to heat the part and redo the soak test. Needless to say - not impressed. I've used that shit on other cars a few times - it makes for a great smoke show - smh - but that is about it in my humble opinion.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
could the seafoam work better with the heat, fuel and piston movement? I can understand it not working that well just sitting, and still being effective in operation conditions.

Hey Holy hows life been? The tune is beast and have loved every minute of it. I could try and get a sound clip but the only thing I have is my phone. I know the tic came after I used some injector cleaner (Gumout) during the last oil change. I have used my stethoscope to try and pinpoint but the only thing I can hear is the injector pulse. I just cant stand the hole "its a Subaru engine and they are going to be noisy" thing. I've been reading up on the valvetrain but it is very strait forward and dont see anything that could go wrong unless I'm starting to wipe out a lobe/lifter bucket but I just cant see that happening. I did a compression test last weekend (getting ready to do a write up) all checked out good no drop in compression and I have been out playing hard.

The Sea Foam came to mind during the oil pickup tube install, everything inside had a large amount of tarnish and I know Sea Foam will make it look new.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Seafoam seems kinda like the miracle in a can. I dunno about that stuff, personally. Mechanics used to inject water mist into a running engine to "steam" clean it. Seems the seafoam may do similar things.
Tarnish wouldn't be an issue, heavy sludge or gunk would be a cause for concern. If your just starring at discolored metal, aside from blued or burnished, then i wouldn't worry about using seabreeze to clean the engine.

Well big no go on the tic it is still there, god I hate being a mechanic sometimes. Retorqued spark plugs just in case. last thing to replace would be the crossover pipe gasket and exhaust manifold gasket on the right side due to removal for oil pickup install. :(

could the seafoam work better with the heat, fuel and piston movement? I can understand it not working that well just sitting, and still being effective in operation conditions.

Reason why I'll be retrying and using a bore scope for before after pictures. But, there should have been some breakdown of carbon in a 24 hour cold soak and there really was not. At least not what I expected.