So... let's talk rods.. pistons are a given.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Scott and I are going to go with new pistons for sure. He's not going to run rods. I'm curious, with my 2011, are rods something I should be considering? I don't know what the stock rods are good to, or if there's any other benefit to running with aftermarkets..

And just in case others have questions that go along with this topic, post your favorites for rods and pistons and why!

STimedic

Just for reference, I'm making just under 400AWHP on a 2011 stock shortblock with CP pistons. The factory rods are ok for use up to the neighborhood of 450, but there are some people who go a bit overly-aggresive when getting tuned and stress the factory rods beyond their capabilities and have things go boom-rattle-rattle-rattle. There are wayyyyyyyyyy too many variables in deciding whether or not to upgrade the rods. If you look at upgrading the rods, you might as well do bearings, as that would be the next weak link in the chain....but there's other threads that cover that.

Long story short, your 300AWHP won't be a problem for the factory rods.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The part about rods that is not really discussed is the fact that although you may have a set of rods rated for your horsepower level, knock events can cause a rod to twist and or snap. Personally, after seeing what happens when a rod snaps from not meeting specs, I'll overbuild rods.

Me too... I've learned my lesson... You should see the grave yard of broken parts my machinist has. Huge enormous rods that you would think can rotate the earth just snapped and twisted like it was a dick in the mouth of a rabid queer.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Yeah, at this moment, we're looking to rotate the turbo with that kit I got from your buddy, Fuji. Figure with rods and pistons, we can tune it a bit higher on the boost. I have no idea what kind of horsepower we'll be talking. Also, with super secret phase 3, that should also make things a bit interesting. So yeah, probably better to over build. Fuji, can you send a shout to Stokes and let him know what you're thinking? I want to make sure the foundation is set for what we're trying to do.

Thanks for the info!

STimedic

I didn't want to go tooooooooo far indepth, but yes, knock has the propensity to eat stock rods. Hence the importance of a good tuner.

Get bearings too. Those are the next weak link. Especially if it's the super secret stage 3 I'm thinking it is that Scott is in on.

Last edited: