STi Newbie

Tweeked STI

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and thought I should make an introduction. My name is Matt and I own a 2013 Subaru STI sedan in WRB. I took delivery of it on May 22nd after waiting 13 weeks for it. It was definately worth the wait. I'm also a newbie to the Subaru world. I've always wanted an STi for 10 years. I sat in a 2004 STi back in December of '03 and new I had to have one someday. I originally came from a '04 SRT4 which I owned for 8 years and finally decided it was time for it to find a new home. I look forward to meeting more Subie owners and expanding my knowledge about my car. Now for some pics. I still need to take some more updated pics as I added RA Mudflaps, SE Black fender badges and will be getting window tint tomorrow.

The day my car got delivered.
GosmsPhoto1369090223224_zps89f2f44c.jpg

GosmsPhoto1369091391239_zps009d6064.jpg

GosmsPhoto1369103017761_zps8b6cd223.jpg

GosmsPhoto1369103031890_zps8d828f8f.jpg

The day I took delivery.
20130522_153551_zpsa6816df5.jpg

20130522_163145_zps0e07fb8d.jpg

20130522_163219_zps4ec539ad.jpg

After the BBS wheels got installed within the first 500 miles.
tZJxSBE84M3bN8LKtRb7Ybgz1Y4zY6xn8jkAqRvyizw_zps7fb938ca.jpg

AmjrtwkoRZr3t_HZ1OZjIG5nugU1-OtWemLxjhyCCgg_zps8d595782.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the community.

Very nice STi.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTA! Dang 8 years in a car. You must miss it and still care about it somewhere deep inside but onto new horizons!

Nice color choice! :tup: :D

Tweeked STI

Welcome.

How do you compare the STi to the SRT4?
Any plans for the car?

This is a much better car. I love the overall handling of the car and it's really fun to take a curve at 50+mph and it just feels like it's on rails. The SRT4 was a big turbo car with 400+hp on E85. But when you start to begin losing traction in 3rd gear at about 40-45mph it got real boring. So I picked up a '11 135i over the STI originally and had not but issues with the car. I had about 7 months left on the lease and had to get rid of that so I traded in the 135i to Carmax and picked up the STI since it was what I should have done from the beginning. As for the car no real big plans for it. I'm just going do mostly cosmetic stuff. I really don't want to turn this car into my SRT4. I wasted a lot of money on that car and it made great power but really wasn't practical or reliable. The guy I sold it so ended up having to build the motor on it but he was my tuner and he knew what he was getting into. I'll be getting window tint today and the next modications will be Hella horns, fog lamps, Grimmspeed plate relocate, JPM red stitched shift boot and parking brake boot.

Welcome to IGOTA! Dang 8 years in a car. You must miss it and still care about it somewhere deep inside but onto new horizons!

Nice color choice! :tup: :D

Everytime I hear that the new owner of my SRT4 is having issues I don't miss it. Haha The car was stock motor with a big turbo with all the supporting mods. It's now a built motor with a larger turbo running 30psi will be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+hp. Basically I wanted to make around 400+hp to the wheels with the car and once I hit that goal I was planning to say my goodbyes. I honestly feel the Subaru community is a much better crowd to be around which is a plus for me. WRB is the only way to go. My SRT4 was Electric Blue so I'm a blue car kinda guy. If I couldn't get WRB I think my second choice would have been Satin White Pearl or Dark Gray Metallic.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oooo how was the 135i???

That car must have been nice as a rwd car. What issues were you having though? German cars are more prones to electrical problems. My dad has 2 vw and 1 audi so its not uncommon to see issues everywhere but on these newer models you would think they would fix their crap. Interested to hear about the 135i experience as a car and the issues you faced!

Tweeked STI

Oooo how was the 135i???

That car must have been nice as a rwd car. What issues were you having though? German cars are more prones to electrical problems. My dad has 2 vw and 1 audi so its not uncommon to see issues everywhere but on these newer models you would think they would fix their crap. Interested to hear about the 135i experience as a car and the issues you faced!

For starters at 7200 miles the idler pulley snapped off the hub and took out the serpentine belt and left me stranded. I was in driving about 15-20mph when it happened. The other issues were electrical related. First one of the ballast burned out and the adaptive headlamp system went bad. I got that fixed and about a week after picking up the car for that, the adpative headlamp system failed again. They said they had replaced one headlamp but not the drivers side and for some reason the one headlamp was talking to the other one so I had to get another headlamp replaced under warranty. The next thing to break was the DMR "foot well" module. The module controlled a lot of things for ex. power windows, easy access for the windows, turn signals, DRL's, instrument cluster illumination, sunroof and reverse lamps. Luckily the brake lights at least worked but still was a pain to deal with on a weekend and finding out service closed 30 minutes ago and couldn't drop my car off to get a loaner. Before it had any issues the car was fun to drive especially being RWD but after that experience I will probably never want to own a German car again.

I originally was set on getting something I wouldn't want to mod for performance so I was looking at Jeep Wranger Rubicon's back on Thanksgiving last year. The longer my friend took to buy my SRT4 I began losing interest in the Jeep. I next began to look into the Focus ST. I test drove it and actually feel in love but that lasted about a month. lol The price for a Focus ST with a ST3 package costed nearly as much a WRX so I began looking into those and drove by a VW and noticed the Golf R. I set up a test drive for the Golf R. I really liked the R32's back in 2004 and really liked the Blue so I thought I was give the car a try and see what it offered. After the test drive I really liked how it drove but in the back of my head I was thinking this is going be another problem car for since it's German. The price of the Golf R was right around the neighborhood of the STI and thought why even look at a WRX if I'm shopping for a car that's close to what the STI is for a sedan. After doing research on VWVortex.com I read a number of issues on new Golf R's having slipping clutch and transmission issues right there I made my decision to go and order a STI.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Welcome and Enjoy! :D Check out the member's journals and feel free to start your own! :tup: