STi vs. EVO

Paul.c

This thread will be dedicated to the never ending battle between the Subaru Impreza WRX STi and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. I would like to keep this thread as technical as possible by keeping the uninformative YouTube videos of a random STi vs. Evo out of here. However, if you know of a good comparison video, article, write-up, etc., please feel free to post it up in here. Like I said before, I want this thread to be as tech related as possible. This will also be somewhere where members new and old can come to ask questions regarding the differences between the 2. I am no expert in the subject but I know there are some very knowledgeable and experienced members out there.

I'll get it started with some simple video comparisons:

Now that we have that established we can discuss other aspects that the non-partial:roll: "third party" reviewers miss.

First thing is the engine/transmissions:

The EVO's engine is known for it's ability to make gobbs of power and last a long time. We are talking over 400whp(the STis recommended stock internals threshold) on the stock internals. The downside to this is that the Evo transmission and diffs cant handle this kind of power. This is the area where I believe the STi really stands out. The STi tranny and diffs are considered "bulletproof" by many race teams and enthusiasts. Now, keep in mind that I am talking about stock components here. The idea that you can make an STi nearly unstoppable by focusing on the engine alone is why it is the clear winner in my book. Whereas, with the Evo you have to build your transmission to suit your power needs. I am not sure what the unofficial "stopping point" for the Evo tranny is so please enlighten me if you know.

please add any details you can to this so as to inform others of the STi superiority!:cool:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
OK well let's start with my 2005 Buschur racing EVO 330. Stock was 286 HP. It was then upgraded to 330 with a intake, 3 inch exhaust, catless DP and retune. It then was sent back and did cams, bigger intercooler, injectors, and different exhaust manifold. Dyno was 410 HP. At that power I ripped the frist trans right out of the car. I then had it rebuilt and went with sheperd trans. About 10,000 miles later then trans had another problem and had to be pulled again and fixed. I had some many problems with the trans on the car it wasn't funny. The good point was it made great power cheap. I think the STi trans is way better in my book but the motors are real pickie about how you tune them. After having a EVO and STi then STi wins in my book!

Paul.c

And just so other members are aware, how much is transmission work compared to engine work? I have always been under the impression that transmissions are harder and more expensive to work on.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well let's see. It was $3100 the first time to have rebuilt and the second time was $2600. Right there is a nice built motor on a STi. They are a pain in the butt to work on for sure!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
This is a really good video Top Gear does!

FasT STi

Sometimes i wish a had an evo just because their so easy to make them fast. My sti has been a pain in the wallet lol

06STI360

I think this is always going to come down to personal prefrence. When I purchased my STI I went a drove the Evo, I think overall its a better drivers car but its more expensive and less practical. They each have there own problems but I would go with a STI any day of the week, there is just a better ballance of performance and practicality. Top Gear had a interesting segment on the Evo X and GR STI, Jeremy talked so much crap about the STI the entire time but it was faster around the track. Also, does the new engine in the Evo take power as well as the 4G63 did?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I don't know about the new EVO's cause I once I sold mine I was hooked on the STi. I think the STi for me just looks better and feels better in my hands, but that could be cause I got a 04 which is the rawest STi's of them all. Someone else is gonna have to chime in on the new EVO's for us.

06STI360

I've driven one, like I said before for a track car its hands down better than the GR IMO. But for everyday duties and the ocasional track day the STI does best a being a two faced beast. If you compare the Evo 9 to the GD STI that is a much closer comparison I think.

LikaGhst

Agreed STi > Evo! I know too many Evo owners and the transmissions are way to weak and the STi transmission is bulletproof indeed and as for overal appearance and reliability STi takes the cake just from personal experience and eye witnessing but I will admit I do like Evo's i'm no hater I only HATE Volksfagens!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thank God you didn't buy one Tyler. That says fag all over it, LMAO! :rofl: Has any one else owned a EVO like I have?

06STI360

If we were able to get the FQ Evo's here in the states I'd probably have one. But come to think of it they are probably crazy expensive. This thread would have 800 million posts already if charged was over here lol.

06STI360

Dayum thats a good idea! Once the turbo H4 goes Direct Injection its going to be a unstopable little beast! Majority of the problems that plague the current engine are fueling related. If I wanted a car that sounded like a rice rocket I would have bought one, my car is worth every penny when my GF's mom askes her if I picked her up on a harley after I went stage 2.lol. :thumbsup:

06STI360

What car uses a turbo 6? I wasn't aware of a forced induction H6 in production? A VGT setup would be sooo perfect for that motor. zooommg. :geek:

06STI360

I just read that article on the H6 STI, thats pretty impressive. I'm a little dissapointed a big company like Perrin didn't take this engine to the limits, from what i gather it seems it could be in the 700whp range pretty easily. Either way its crazy that it fits into the engine bay without much fuss.

06STI360

I really like the deisgn of the oiling system on the H6 also, seems over engineered which is always a plus! The cam design with the third lobe reminds me of v-tec a little bit, I think with some head work and a serious build this thing could put down 1,000 hp on race gas. yeah buddy!

Paul.c

Sometimes i wish a had an evo just because their so easy to make them fast. My sti has been a pain in the wallet lol
It really depends on your definition of "fast". Can you get more HP out of an EVO for less money? Yes? Is HP what makes a car fast? Somewhat. HP is, I believe, a very small part of the formula. Traction and handling are number one in my book. The STi excells in these categories with the DCCD, tranny and diffs. As far as suspension goes both cars are very similar. A lot of people complain about the STi being too understeery. personally I set my car up every autocross to understeer because it is extremely easy to correct even while mid corner.

STI FTMFW

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Here is a picture of my EVO that I use to own.

attachment.php

06STI360

I never did like the old Evo's, the new ones look sexy! Yours looks nice for some reason though, maybe its the flaps and lack of stupid roof vaine things.