STi vs. EVO

Jason31090

I always get such mixed info on the new X's. Some sources say they are FWD but it's an Evo so you would think obviously its AWD.

I do like the paddle shifters on the MR's though, Subaru should give it a shot on a future model.

06STI360

Evo's are "AWD". They are a FWD car with a transfer case basically. They are heavily FWD bias whereas the STI is RWD bias. If you look at it in terms of layout, the Evo has a 4cyl engine mounted sideways in the engine compartment to accomidate at transaxle type transmission. The STI has a flat 4 cyl engine mounted the correct way with a transmission that is perfectly in the center of the car. This gives you semetrical half shafts to the front wheel and a conventional output to the rear wheels. Thats where the semetrical AWD name comes from. Also in terms of the center differential and driveline tech. the STI is far more advanced.

The new Evo MR uses a Dual clutch gearbox, in essence its a transmission with two imput shafts and two sets of gears. One side controls 1,3,5 gear while the other controls 2,4,6 gear. So the car can be in 2nd gear and the opposite shaft will have 3rd gear already engaged, all it has to do is switch imput shafts when you shift gears which gives you very quick shifts. It also uses quite a bit of power so drivetrain loss is higher than a typical manual transmission.

To each his own I guess.

Paul.c

The flappy paddle gearboxes (top gear reference) are too iffy. Since the Mitsu can't make a reliable stick shift manual I can't imagine their paddle shifter tranny would be any better. For true performance I prefer the stick, if I had it my way the STi would come with a sequential gearbox. The Evo MR I beleive has a 50/50 torque split also. The STI is 45/65 or 44/66 something like that.

i just realized that I made an error in the torque split for the STi. 45+65=110 :tard: I think the split is actually 41/59. sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

06STI360

Yeah I haven't heard how much power the flappy paddle tranny's are good for yet. I wouldn't imagine it would be very much.

AirManCam

I think you guys have the wrong impression of evo's. The MR's are the ones with weak trannys, not GSR's, RS etc. The 6 speed is the weak link, not the 5 speed. However, they are still plagued by transfer case issues, which is still fairly cheap to fix from Shep. Ranging from $300-2600. From what I've read (lots and lots of research) and from what my tuner and other friends in the business have told me, evo's are definitely easier to make power for way cheaper, and they handle better. The evo IX is a bad mother! The only thing people run into problems with those is the tranny has short gearing such as us 04-06 STI owners. Its only about $1200 to have evo 8 gears swapped in as to where we have to pay how much for 07 gears? I will say that an Evo will NEVER be as good as our subies in the snow, period. I love my STI, its one of my dream cars and it has definitely put me through hell and back but I still love it. I'm on my 3rd motor (second built) 3rd clutch (second ACT 6 puck..clutchmasters stage IV next), and second turbo.

06STI360 I'm not sure about the Evo's paddle tranny, but my friend, and owner of The ShopCT has his stock tranny@745whp in his GTR.

Paul.c

Saying that an evo handles better is purely speculative. It depends on the driver's preference.

But we may just have to agree to disagree.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What you guys are forgetting is the transmissions fall out of the EVO's. Mine was out twice! So there is your $3000 so we are even.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yep Rek I know that for sure! 2 Trans in 10,000 miles and I never even launched that damm car! That's why I bought a STi and not another EVO. Plus if I did buy a EVO I wouldn't have created IGOTASTi. So it's all good in my book!