Stock BBS's aftermarket studs and lugs

I have read that I can't use aftermarket lugs on my stock BBS's. I am going to be replacing my studs with some arp studs (which I will want to get from one of our vendors) that are an inch longer than stock so I assume I will need to replace the lugs. Any help?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ive had rays lug nuts on my stock bbs for over 2.5 years now. No issues. Ill be waiting here for someone to tell me why im lucky that nothing happened. I believe it was something along the lines that anything other than stock has a different angle on the locking part of the lug. (I apologize for lack of terminology)
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION]

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The angle of the seat on the lugs could be different than in the wheel seat. It's not to say aftermarket lugs won't work, but they would have to be compatible with respect to the seat being the same.
Longer or open ended lugnuts will be needed.
Why the longer studs? Gonna go with spacers?

No reason for longer studs they were the only ones that I seen on rallysportdirect.com. Then when I looked at some open ended lugs of few of the questions were about stock sti rims and the answer back was they would not fit. I just want some red open ended lugs that will work with my rims and the ARP studs for track duty

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Well, the thread is 12x1.25 and the standard is a 60mm tapered seat for most aftermarket wheels and this is true for the bbs wheels or the base model wheels. So I got a bit curious to find out why aftermarket lugs don't work with the bbs wheels. Why I've found is that the diameter of the hole is a bit different, smaller, and thus the lug seat is a bit smaller on the factory nuts. Aftermarket versions being a bit wider. What this does is it doesn't allow the aftermarket lug to sit squarely on the wheel seat. The pressure is applied over a smaller area vs. the larger area area of the OEM nuts. Now, I've never really seen anyone speak of a failure due to this but it is possible that there could be due to the decreased contact area.
I also caught a blurb about McGuard nuts being the way to go as they are a match for the diameter of the hole. Personally, I use the Muteki nuts and they seem to seat fine on both the BBS and my aftermarket wheels.