Strange faint whining noise??? Help?

STiKAt

So I have had my 06 STi for over 4 years and its gone through some motor problems but everything is good now. But most recently I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that right before it was time for an oil change the car started to make a whining noise which I think seems to be the trans. It still is audible in low gears and probably any other time but you cant hear it over the exhaust. I do have some exhaust leaks from the mid and down pipes but it just seems it has to do with the tranny. Fluid is not low either. Check anything else? Does anyone have anything in mind what it could be. Im usually good with the different noises my car makes and pin point where it comes from but not this time. Help please?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
When was the last time you had the fluid changed in the trans?

Scott Stokes

Like Jj said try changing fluids, go back to OEM subaru fluid for trans. If noise persist you might check rear end, maybe pinion bearing. Probably not, but sound does travel... Are you having any trans issues.

STimedic

Ummmmm....not to be a dick or anything, but the front diff fluid is the Extra-S that lubricates the rest of the transaxle.

Z1107

Hahaha, I did that to my gf one time. She got so pissed at me after being laughed at by her mechanic.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Guys please stay on topic. Thank you. :)

STiKAt

Changing the trans fluid this weekend can't hurt will use OEM unless someone suggests otherwise...lets see if I remember its prob been like close to 2 and half yeats since last change. BUT car sat for a good half year(old tuner w/e you want to call him.rebuilt my motor again "in a dirty environment" and I spun a rod bearing AGAIN. <different story) I have a DD now and the STi sees maybe 300miles a month. If whining persists will have to check dif fluid I know that's a pain in the butt if I remember correctly.

PS thanks for the many replies ;)

STimedic

My blinker fluid is fine, but I think your reverse light batteries are dead.

And yes, my chem light DOES have batteries.....

STimedic

Could be a throwout and/or pilot bearing. Does the noise go away when disengaging the clutch (pushing the pedal in)?

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Check all your tires for proper pressure and especially tread depth. SUBARU demands that no tire be more than 2/32" in tread depth apart from
the others, i.e. Front-Left 7/32", Front-Right 7/32", Rear-Left 7/32", Rear-Right 10/32" *Rear-Right, at 10/32 exceeds the tolerance*.

The reason I mention tire pressure as well is because pressure is directly related to diameter, rolling circumference, etc. For example, two tires
being just a couple 32nd's of an inch difference in tread depth can mean the difference between something like (please don't quote me, then go do
the math and correct me...lol) one tire rotating 435 times per mile and another 440+.

This puts an excessive stress on the fittings in the drivetrain and can lead to a $3,700 DCCD repair job.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case with your car, but just for peace of mind, I'd check your tires. I've noticed that if my tires
aren't inflated quite right, I get a little bit of a faint drivetrain whine that seems to vary in frequency related to speed.

Just my $0.02. I hope that helps!

Last edited: