Summer Rims

Hi guys,

Just looking for a little advice on some more affordable rims for summer rotation. I still have the stock rims which i powder coated, they work fine but my tires are nearing the last season they will be good on the road. i am thinking about going aftermarket, I would like something that does not scream aftermarket but would be a little lighter than stock. Just looking for some suggestions.
thanks guys.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How much you looking to spend?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hi guys,

Just looking for a little advice on some more affordable rims for summer rotation. I still have the stock rims which i powder coated, they work fine but my tires are nearing the last season they will be good on the road. i am thinking about going aftermarket, I would like something that does not scream aftermarket but would be a little lighter than stock. Just looking for some suggestions.
thanks guys.

What do have for stock rims, BBS or the five spoke?

Enkei and WedSport make cost effective and lighter weight wheels with good durability. OZ wheels, as well.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm a total hypocrite on this, but my advice would be to just pick on looks (and price) and forget about the weight. I have a rant on here about how lightweight rims are only "worth" it for true racing applications (http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/5275-Light-wheels-and-performance-gains).

So what style do you like 5 spoke, 6, mesh, etc? Are you trying to stance the car at all (more flush), looking for dished rims, wider for more grip, stretched, etc...?

I have the bbs stocks currently my biggest thing is I want to get wider but not enough that I have roll my fenders, I would be comfortable paying as much as 300$ for each rim as long as its a quality product. I would like them dished in to make the wider tire look better.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Are you a stickler for new, or is used fine? If you're ok with used, browse ForSale sections on various car forums. There are many subaru-specific forums, but you can find appropriate stuff from a ton of forums (different brand cars, local car clubs, etc..). For instance, I ended up getting my rims off of an RSX forum. Start browsing the forums and see what's for sale. You'll quickly get a sense of what's good, what you like, and what fair prices are.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have the bbs stocks currently my biggest thing is I want to get wider but not enough that I have roll my fenders, I would be comfortable paying as much as 300$ for each rim as long as its a quality product. I would like them dished in to make the wider tire look better.

The stock BBS are fairly light so it's gonna be hard to beat them in the weight category for cheaper dollars or at least your choices will be more limited, and especially the bigger a wheel is.

18x9 or 9.5 wheel in the +38mm - +40mm offset with stock suspension will net you what you desire without fender mods. If you lower the car, you'll start contacting the fenders. Tire choices will also play a role. 255/35 or 265/35 should go nicely for the 9.5 wheel.
255/35, 245/40 or 245/35 will do for the 9 inch wheel.

18x10 is doable around a +42mm. A 265/35 or 275/35 tire fits best.

The wider wheels will generally net a more concave or deep face at higher offsets, (Numerically higher) than narrower wheels at the same offsets.
Narrower wheels will usually need lower offsets to get a more concave or dished face.
Wider wheels will have very aggressive concave and lipped faces at lower offsets.

Lowered suspension changes all things mentioned.