Swap of an Immobilizer of STI-05 Into A WRX is it Safe ?

GIRO

Hi ,
Can anyone help me on this matter plz ,i have a problem in starting my STI-05 2.5L ,And the Scanner can't read the Check engine too,and it won't connet with the ECU .

So After reviewing the problem all mechanicals said thet the problem is between the Key and the Immobilizer and they said that the can fix the problem by chaging the immobilizer of my STI-05 with a WRX or OUtback after fixing the codes to make the new ECU khows the Key for ignition etc...

My Question is that is it safe by changing an STI with WRX or Else from same brand or would it lead me to other engine problems .

Thanks .

STimedic

I think you posted this in the wrong area, this should be moved to the urgent help subforum.

They should be able to synch the key with the security box and the sensor at the stealership for a nominal fee. 'Swapping' the immobilizer isn't going to work unless you swap the entire security system and steering column from the donor car as the sensor is built into the ignition system and the key. If that doesn't work, it could be the ECU. Are you running an AccessPort? OpenSource? Not tuned?

Also, how many miles are on your 05 and has the timing belt been changed? Could be a timing issue, had that when I was swapping an 05 STi into my WRX.....made me think the immobilizer was messed up. I reset the timing and voila......it ran.

Need info to further help you.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
To add, the WRX ecu will not work with the STi... There are to many differences like AVCS and Drive By Wire throttle body. You do have the choice of swapping out the immobilizer combination by purchasing a used immobilizer module, ignition switch and ECU combination from Ebay. You can fine them for around $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-2005-SUB...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4166fcd1de&vxp=mtr

Regardless I kinda doubt it is immobilizer related initially and that it is a bad ECU or some other problem. Even with mismatched immobilizer combo you should still be able to communicate with the ECU and read codes. If that is the case you will need to replace the ECU and have the dealer run the learning procedure to match the new ecu with the immobilizer combination. Is the security light flashing?

Last edited: