Symptoms of bad steering rack bushings

Awdrex

Hi all,

So I've noticed over some time that my steering response and stability at high speeds have degraded.

When I turn the wheel it takes a second before the car turns, at which point I've then gone too far and have to correct for. Also I have a slight vibration in the steering at highway speeds.

I Probly need upgraded steering rack bushings, but what else?
WhAt other bushings could cause this?

FYI: 05 Sti w/
Bc coils
Endlinks
Gt spec all

Thanks for any useful input

John

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This actually sounds like it is a mechanical issue like a bad steering rack or tie rod ends. Of course this is not to say that you still could have bad bushings.

You can check the bushings by observing movement of the steering rack. Park the car on a flat level surface and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while you look for movement in the steering rack. You can usually gain visual access by peering down toward the back passenger side of the engine bay near the turbo. Some small movement is normal

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
With the front end of the car jacked up and off the ground you can move the tire with your hands to check for play in the tie rod end. There should be zero play. You could also check to see the play from wheel to wheel. If you move one wheel, the other should move at exactly the same time and at the same rate. There should be no delay between them. If there is then there could be a problem with the rack. I would check the bushings first though.