Tapping Noise From #2

AndyUK

All,

I am new to the forum and relitively new to Subarus. I have a 2011 STi, i Am down i Southern MD at Pax River. I have an AEM Cold Air Intake, Invida Turbo Back System with Sport Cat and Cobb Stage 2 Map.

About a month ago after getting a pro tune map loaded i had a detonation on #2 cylinder (Spark Plug Eart Bent & Piited), I replaced the Plug and put the Cobb stage 2 Map back in that i had been running for the previous year with no problems. But ever since that event i have a noticable tapping noise coming from the #2 cyclinder area. I have driven a further 2,000 miles since the event and the tapping is no louder but is very noticable. I have compared it to a friend of mines 2011 STi and thier car runs very quiet in comparison.

I am going to take it to Annapolis Subaru tomorrow to see what they think it is but i would also like the opinion of you guys (who wont be trying to take all my money) as to what the problem could be.

Andy

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Spark plug being bent means there is some kind of mechanical damage within the motor.
The tapping noise can be a whole host of problems from exhaust leaks to spun bearings or piston failure.
Your shop needs to do a compression and leakdown test.
Good luck and hopefully it is something simple.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
People drive around with ringland issues without knowing. There's a lot that could be going on, but a compression test could tell you a lot. But a damaged spark plug is definitely a worry. Doing a compression test yourself could confirm an issue, but after that you'd likely have to take it to a shop anyways. If you take it to Annapolis Subaru there's a chance that if they find an issue they can get Subaru to fix it...they're relatively mod friendly.