Teach me about oil coolers

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
SO JEALOUS!!! i love the top mounted air filter but as stated, how do you prevent water from getting in?

SO JEALOUS!!! i love the top mounted air filter but as stated, how do you prevent water from getting in?
I think the only way to prevent water would be another filter in the hood scoop or some type of metal or plastic diverter that makes the air go around a set if baffles to seperate air and water.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

5b2c3bc1795374659408923d90512fc3.jpg

I'm also wondering what to blue cylinder is on the driver's side fender. I wonder if thats some type of acusump?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
that would restrict the air flow no? does it really matter about air restriction before it gets to any sensors? i really like the idea of this and since im going FMIC im trying to find a use for my hood scoop.

that would restrict the air flow no? does it really matter about air restriction before it gets to any sensors? i really like the idea of this and since im going FMIC im trying to find a use for my hood scoop.
Well muscle cars have been doing it for ages so there's methods of getting the rain to funnel in to drainage channels.

For instance the concept of the drainage on shaker hood scoops that modern Mopar use could probably be recreated by making an air box that the filter sits in then a shaker style cover that fits over the air filter then the hood scoop can seal against that when the hood is closed. You could have the intake draw air from the rear or sides of the shaker style cover while the rain drains out of the bottom of the cover.

Here's an article on the modern Mopar shaker hood scoops.

Shaker Run Off Water Drain System

All run off water runs down the outside of the shaker and then into the gutter which is built into the perimeter of the shaker base unit and is then collected in the front receiving gutter. the water is then channeled through a 1/4″ ID neoprene hose to under the car.

Shaker Ingested Water Drain System

All ingested water that is rammed into the shaker first hits the back of the scoop and is then directed to one of the internal water gutters ? one on each side. The water is then drained off via (2) 1/4″ ID neoprene hoses to under the car. A 3 degree tilt on the base of the shaker causes most of the water to drain to the passenger?s side gutter, away from the elevated air port on the driver?s side. There is also a small drain at the bottom of the air box to remove any possible residue.

what is that for?
It's old muscle car or race car trick. It's essentially a cylinder with a piston that has compressed air on one side and oil on the other side of the piston. If the oil pressure ever drops it releases the pressurized oil giving you some time to shut down the motor or to recover from oil sloshing etc.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well "probably not." Chances are low to have a catastrophic oil failure on a street car. But it's cheaper than a new motor (probably?) so, I guess it's kinda worth it. So i guess it's like getting glacier insurance in Phoenix.