The Official Firearms Thread

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn $800 and then you HAVE to buy mods, just like a car. What's the average price of a decent semi-auto rifle? I know they can get expensive, but what's the best bang for the buck?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Damn $800 and then you HAVE to buy mods, just like a car. What's the average price of a decent semi-auto rifle? I know they can get expensive, but what's the best bang for the buck?

What, $800 for the AR-556? Nah, they can be had for cheaper if you look around enough. And you don't really have to buy a lot of extras, although scopes and extra mags are common purchases.

It's can be expensive, but it's totally worth it. But hey, now you know one reason why the Batmobile doesn't have a built engine yet. :lol:

"Average price" is pretty subjective because everyone has a different opinion of what a decent semi-auto rifle is. But I'd say that if you make the right choices, you could have a quality, yet modest, semi-auto rifle with a decent scope and 10, 30-round mags, for $700-900 total. If you don't need the scope, subtract ~$150-250.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I bet it adds up quickly. What's an average price that you commonly see the guns sell for?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Prices can vary wildly, especially when the threat of more gun control legislation is on the table. For example, a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical has an MSRP of $750. During gun control scares, they are priced at $900. When the scare fades away and the supply is high with low demand they go for ~$600 (original MSRP was ~$750). The Ruger AR-556 has been listed pretty low lately, as Ruger made a shit ton of them during the last scare. People eventually calmed down and demand dropped, leaving many AR-556's priced as low as $479. Of course, you still have to pay the sales tax and FFL transfer fee (tax and fee is usually ~$75).

If I didn't already have an AR when the 556 dropped under $500, I would have bought one IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, $449.99!!!!!! However, I don't want/need one.

Although, somewhat tempting. It's pretty sick!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Damn $800 and then you HAVE to buy mods, just like a car.

I bet it adds up quickly.

It does get expensive, but it's (at least in my opinion) a very important part of being a responsible American citizen. Being thoroughly armed is more important than all other interests. Firearms, ammunition and training will always take precedence over the Batmobile, or any other car for that matter.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Wow, $449.99!!!!!! However, I don't want/need one.

Although, somewhat tempting. It's pretty sick!

That is a REALLY good price. My hunting buddy has an AR-556, which I've also shot a few times. It is a very good quality rifle. Some people have a strange idea that Ruger's aren't very good, despite them being the largest gun manufacturer in the US (by sales). I've personally never had a single problem with any of my Rugers. But if you do have a problem, Ruger is known for their great customer service. A friend of mine had a cracked piece in his buffer system and Ruger replaced it for free.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Maybe, I'll bite.

I'm doing some research now.

Which ammo is of higher quality, the 223 or 5.56?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
About $0.40 a round for 5.56 Winchester ammo. What's an ideal price per round?

I'm seeing that 5.56 has better quality assurance.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe, I'll bite.

I'm doing some research now.

Which ammo is of higher quality, the 223 or 5.56?

Some guns are intended to use only .223 REM. There is a misconception that .223 REM and 5.56x45mm NATO are the same. They have essentially the same cartridge dimensions, but the 5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure and 5.56 barrels are machined a bit differently in the throat where the bullet first contacts the rifling.

That said, guns made for 5.56 can fire either .223 REM or 5.56x45mm NATO, though accuracy with the .223 REM cartridge may be less than expected. Firing a 5.56 cartridge from a gun intended to ONLY use .223 REM could result in an overpressurization condition that could cause damage, injury or death. The AR-556 will reliably fire either cartridge.

About $0.40 a round for 5.56 Winchester ammo. What's an ideal price per round?

I'm seeing that 5.56 has better quality assurance.

Quality should be fine between .223 REM and 5.56x45mm NATO.

$0.40/round is kind of expensive. Look at patriotmunitionsllc.com (EDIT: shit, their website is still being upgraded). Even their reloads are good quality. For hunting, I buy much more expensive ammo (~$0.80-$1.25/round) but for plinking, target shooting and screwing around, I buy the cheapest ammo I can as long as it IS NOT steel cased and NOT corrosive powder and primers. Wolf, Tula and WPA are examples of cheap ammo that uses either steel cases, corrosive powder, corrosive primers or all of the above. Don't buy that stuff. Federal makes a sub-brand called American Eagle that can be found pretty cheap. I try to look for $0.25-$0.35/round pricing.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dude, I appreciate the information and it resonates with what I read.

Wow, Tula... I used it once in my CZ 75 and never again. I agree, it's horseshit.

I mainly use Winchester for my handgun and I have used American Eagle. I'll do some more digging around.

Do you practice with a semi-automatic rifle the same way you would wih a handgun at a range? (I've only been to indoor ranges)

LOL Batmobiles and my one comment got Alin wanting to prep.

I agree with Batmobile about for some odd reason people think ruger aren't the best but every single rugger I've ever owned has been a reliable fire arm. The only time the have jammed was due to ammo failing.

Pretty much the Rugger AR556 will be a great entry line ar type weapon that will be reliable and versatile since it is capable of shooting both rounds.

The main selling point of this specific fire arm is the fact that it shoots two different rounds which could be very useful if ammo becomes scarce or if all hell breaks out and you have to ammo collect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Dude, I appreciate the information and it resonates with what I read.

Wow, Tula... I used it once in my CZ 75 and never again. I agree, it's horseshit.

I mainly use Winchester for my handgun and I have used American Eagle. I'll do some more digging around.

Do you practice with a semi-automatic rifle the same way you would wih a handgun at a range? (I've only been to indoor ranges)

Don't get me wrong, you CAN shoot those sub-par cartridges. I just choose not to most of the time. The corrosive powder and primers isn't much of a problem if you clean your guns properly, but the steel cases can often mar your chamber and feed ramp. Some people don't care about that and others do. For example, I will *sometimes* shoot steel tula cartridges in my Mini-14 but not my AR. Just personal preference.

I do practice with my rifles like I would with my pistols. I even take my Mini-14 to an indoor range that has a HD simulator (i.e. an HD camera projects a scenario--like a bank robbery or home invasion--onto a screen in the back. You shoot the assailant on the screen and when your bullet passes through the screen, a high speed camera tracks where your rounds hit and scores it appropriately.) I'm at the point with the Mini that I can dot someone's eyes at 50 yards or less in 1.0 - 1.5 seconds or less.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm trying to upload a video of our last interactive range day, but I can't get it to work on Tapatalk. So maybe I'll find the video the range took as an advertisement for you to see.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I recall you posting this a long time ago on this very thread!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
YouTube is blocked here at work, so I can't tell if the video is working in this thread. Can you see/play it? ^^^

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah, just watched it and you actually posted it a while back.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Cool, just making sure. There's probably something like this available in the Cleveland area that you could go do. I generally take my FNX-9, Glock 43 and Ruger Mini-14 Tactical. My AR is set up for long range hunting with a large scope, so taking it in there is kind of ridiculous. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I could come to MI. You're not far from me.