The official what hpde are u attending thread

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I literally just got my brakes. Now i have to figure out a time to install them, and THEN i can sign up for some HPDEs. Would love to make it up to NJ and meet you, but I'll have to look at the schedule. I think there were more events at VIR and Summit that would be easily attendable for me.

finallymysti

I told myself I'm gonna make it down to vir this year. My schedules very flexible so I can make most any event I choose.? if u get up to de 3 we could run together which would be great fun. Or I know an organization that just clumps everyone together and gives u about 8 sessions

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm pretty happy in 2 so far. Most people understand that even if you're faster in the straight, you should still give that poor miata a point-by since he catches you every lap! And most people are still on street rubber. It might be nice to get in with some faster cars in 3, but if you have a small enough run group i dont find the traffic to be too bad!

finallymysti

I almost found 2 to be more fun. grid first, get in your clean laps, then start lapping peple. never having to worry about a fully built z06 racecar coming up Uranus is nice. but it is also fun chasing the faster cars and passing ones that you know are comparable drivers.... I also want to get to be an instructor, so I have to go through the whole chain..... how many days do you have under your belt?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
only 2 hpde events.

A few days with a non-scca/nasa school out in cali, and then I did One Lap of America for two years, so several brief stints at a bunch of tracks.

Planning on doing many more once i get these brakes installed!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Because my title says "Track Monkey"? Hah!

Not many days, but I do love it and I plan on many more.

You'll see....when I turn in better lap times than you! :lol:

The tracks I've run:
Streets of Willow Springs
Summit Point
BeaveRun
New Hampshire International Speedway
Roebling Road
Nelson Ledges
Putnam Park

I'd like to add VIR and NJMP to that list this year.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
i updated my last post with the tracks i've run. Im not quite a noob, but i've still got a lot to learn.

And there's nothing wrong with some friendly competition!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Timing during HPDE is usually a strict no-no, so I've had friends in the Pits clock me, and then I'm thinking about a go-pro or cell-phone dash cam, and then looking at the times after.

At the events i did in Cali, they didnt care at all. They rented transponders and had a digital display board show your times down by turn 1. It was pretty awesome.

finallymysti

that setup in cali sounds sweet. I usually use harrys lap timer. i'm toying with the idea of getting a traqmate but not sure of its worth it

orestes85

I would have Road Atlanta and VIR but my car is still gutted :( Missed last weeks VIR. I may not get out to too many until next year and just dick around in autocross doing SM and get smoked by guys on slicks.

finallymysti

so had a great weekend at the track overall. day started crappy with a bad tank of gas. so I missed the morning sessions driving back and forth on the highway burning off gas. once I got enough burnt off I added 100 octane and it was on. third lap out I got a personal best lap. a 1:16.6(at njmp lightning circuit) I looked at the ttb times and this would have put me in 1st place my next event will be may 3rd with the audi club at Pocono raceway running my favorite course. the 2.5 mile long course. should we start another thread to talk about our hpde days and other related stuff or just throw it in here?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I think I'll be headed to Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, Michigan) a few times this year, especially once
the weather gets better. Anyone in the region been to Gingerman, or plan on going this year?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ever given Grattan a thought? From NA-motorsports.com:

Every turn is blind, or off-camber, or changes direction abruptly at the exit, or has a significant elevation or camber change in the turn or in the braking area immediately before, or must be taken off the 'normal' line to set up for the following corner.Or exhibits two of these conditions.
Or more.
Some competitors claim that Grattan was designed by an individual who had a clear understanding of the limits of racing cars and a pathological hatred of racing car drivers.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I just moved to Michigan in September ('12) so I haven't been around to any of these places yet.

finallymysti

not sure how far it is from you but mid Ohio seems like a great track and I have heard great things about it. on a side note I just signed up for an event on may 3rd at Pocono raceway with the audi club.