TiC SST Coilovers...or something similiar

icudruln

So I've had my Subie parked for a while, and am starting to get a few misc parts I've been wanting. I had originally planned on getting the TiC SST coilovers, but they are nowhere to be found...I messaged TiC, but haven't heard back from them. Originally, it was these, or the old AST 4100 coilovers. I'm not worried about price, but I don't necessarily want to blow $3,000+ on coilovers, camber plates, etc. When driven, the car is mainly a spirited driving car, and occasional track day/autocross car; ride quality isn't a priority. Does anyone have any input or experience on a particular setup? I've been looking around, but I usually get the impression of people suggesting "X Coilovers because someone else said so" kind of thing.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Subbed for the knowledge ahead!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I was in the same boat a few years ago. I really wanted the tarmac T2 or the SSTs. This was based on learning to somewhat read/understand shock dynos and reading all of Stretch's posts (different forum :( ). I decided that for my purposes i really liked the Koni 8611. I think Ground Control makes a set based on the insert, and I ended up with a nice pair of Zzyzx coils. Incidentally, I'm toying with the idea of selling mine, but thats neither here nor there.

But you may want to decide exactly what parameters you want:
How many ways adjustable?
Remote reservoirs?
Double height adjustable?
Shock characteristics (shock dyno stuff)?
Materials/Build Quality
etc...

If you can narrow down your must-haves you'll really limit the field. From there you can read reviews, beg rides, etc.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh, follow-up.

Depending on your answers to the list above, you may also consider doing something like a fixed perch strut or a revalve. They're not as sexy as coils, without the adjustability. But most people dont *need* the adjustability, however cool it is. For instance, I dialed mine in at the track a little bit, then didnt touch a thing for 2+ years.

Coils offer some advantages over struts above handling. Mainly weight savings and wheel clearance for wider wheels.