Timing belt inquiry

jswansti

Hey everyone! So in the not too distant future ill be doing a 90k and timing belt service on the ol girl. I have a few questions if you'll indulge me.

Anyone heard of or use Gates timing belt kits? I have heard they're pretty legit for half the price of oem so im looking into them.

What should I definitely replace and what should I check?

Thanks everyone!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You also don't want to take anything to chance... after 90000 miles I would go ahead and replace the whole lot of parts... Idlers, Tensioner, Water Pump and Belt. The whole kit from gates can be had for somewhere around $350.

If doing it your self please download the manual **here** and be fully aware of which way you rotate the cam sprockets on the drivers side of the engine. If you turn them the wrong way you will bend valves.

bugeye_fever

I have the gates racing timing belt installed last 13k miles. So far it has been flawless, but thats what you'd expect from this part. Price was also what directed me toward the gates belt. Not really sure how it compares to stock, but it hasn't broken and has been driven thoroghly. Full season of AutoX, a track day and daily driven. Actually pulled a cover to look at it the other day, looks fine other than that a strip of the blue color has stripped off down the middle and left little flakes of blue in the bottom of the timing cover. Doesn't seem to have an affect on performance, but I'm trying to be honest. I'd buy again, guess thats all that matters.

jswansti

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like ill be getting the Gates kit :) I am definitely replacing all the parts. Also gonna go with the Kevlar racing belt for a little extra. This'll happen in roughly 8000 miles, but that'll be sooner than you think...unfortunately.

Scott Stokes

Gates Kevlar belt kits are the shit. I put them on everything from daily shit drivers to All the Honda's and Subaru's i build. Gate's Belts FTW!!!!

Bluedemon_II

When I did my build I used the Power enterprises Kevlar belt, it was at the same price as oem locally and I needed it Asap. Gates belts are top notch, you cant go wrong with them. My PE belt is holding up quite nicely in the sti with its new owner >.> "shoot me"

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
When I did my build I used the Power enterprises Kevlar belt, it was at the same price as oem locally and I needed it Asap. Gates belts are top notch, you cant go wrong with them. My PE belt is holding up quite nicely in the sti with its new owner >.> "shoot me"

I can't shoot you... I'm in the same boat! I think I'm worse actually... An admin on an STi site and I own a 240! :tard:

jswansti

Im sure you'll be around! The dealership I was at this morning had 2 2011 sti's. One sedan, one hatch. So im thinking holy and Paul should just come pick em up :) they really were sweet looking rides.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1318529323131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1318529323131.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 49

SirMyztiq

I've read that we should stay away from the Gates blue belts b/c of some reported failures. I'm due for a belt change(now) so I'm trying to figure out what is worth what.

SirMyztiq

Which belt is the question...Hmm...

jswansti

Im gonna be replacing everything on the car that the gates kit comes with. Also getting the Kevlar belt most likely.

SubyKing

We use Gates racing belts (the blue ones) on all of our engine builds. I would also recommend changing the pulleys as well.

Last edited:

jswansti

So I got the gates timing belt kit for my bday today! I took the timing kit out of the box and notices the part number on the instructions was different than the part number on the box... the part number on the box is tckp328rb, which is the correct number for my car with the racing belt. But the instructions manual that is inside the saran wrapped parts package in the box says tckp328a 02-03 2.0L impreza wrx...are the instructions to install the same for all kits? The belt in the box is blue like the racing belt should be, im just weary of whether the parts inside the box are the ones they're supposed to be. Thanks for any input!!

Also, are the water pumps universal? I didn't notice a specific year or model label for the water pump box/ kit.

jswansti

Okay cool. I told my mom exactly what the problem is and she's calling the place she got it from tomorrow to make sure its correct.

jswansti

Got ahold of the company we got the kit from, they say its the proper one for sure. its just that the page of the instruction manual facing out just happens to be for that year, and my year will be in the manual, you just have to open it up.