Tire rubbing strut.

So after installing my coilovers I noticed the strut was extremely close to the tire. If I hit a bump it would make a terrible squeaking noise which turned out to be my tire rubbing against the strut. Keeping in mind I haven't really lowered the car yet this really troubled me. I got 5mm spacers for the front and rear (while the rears were not rubbing, they were very close and I want to go a little lower.) After the 5mm spacers I can fit about a finger in between the strut and wheel. I installed the camber bolts and both the top and bottom bolts are adjusted to maximum camber. Now I can fit maybe 2 fingers in between but this is not good enough because I still can't go lower. Has anyone else had these problems? I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this all is.
256273_10151089832471418_1008412442_o.jpg this pic is before the spacers and camber bolts.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy cows.

STimedic

What wheels (offset in particular) are you running? That may play a large part. But as Gino said, adjust your camber plates (if equipped), otherwise I suspect other stuff going on.

If there's now two finger widths, why cant you go lower?
How close is too close? I still won't be able to get a reasonable drop with a safe amount clearance.

Your camber plate and camber bolts need to be adjusted
I'm under the impression the camber plate won't change the angle between the strut and wheel, only the whole assembly. The camber plate is currently set to neutral, as pushing it any more positive would cause me to run too much positive camber at this height with the same clearance issue. The bolts connecting the strut to the knuckle do. I have whiteline camber bolts in the bottom and stock in the top. Both are adjusted to maximum positive camber.

What wheels (offset in particular) are you running?
Stockers, 2011 bbs. 18x8.5 +55

Any updates to this? I was interested to see what the problem was
I'm away at school now so I have not had a chance to pull the wheels and take a picture. I'm still not sure what the problem is. I will snap some pics with the wheels on in a little bit and post them tonight.

Stiyle11sedan

I am very curious to which wheel and tire setup youare running. From the pic it looks like a pretty meaty tire (I'm guessing 265?) generally if you are going to go low you are going to need to run a smaller size tire. Most of the guys I see running "stanced" setups are all running somewhat stretched tires and usually quite a bit of negative camber.

Vermont

With the stock wheels there is no reason for you too be rubbing. I am going to have to agree with reks here. Something may be.either installed or adjusted wrong. Even at scrape the ground low the stock wheels should not be rubbing on the struts, due to the wheels off set. The only reason for strut rubbing is wheel off set. When you get a chance make sure every thing is installed correctly/not broken. As camber should change both wheel and suspension angle.

Stiyle11sedan

I didn't see he was running stock wheels....^^ definitely agree with the above!!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I looked at your profile and it looks like you have a GR? Am I correct? What coilover are you using?

I did my coilover install about nine months ago and it still sits pretty fresh in my mind. I am running the H&R and I remember them being specifically marked for left and right sides. I am currently at about 1.5" drop and have -1.5* camber and have about 1 fingers width between the spring and the tire. This is with both the factory BBS and tire size and the 18x9.5 +38mm and 265/35 tire. At 2" drop the finger distance is about the same. I have had no issues with rubbing the spring or shock body under compression or droop. I am running the stock top hats and factory only camber bolt in the proper hole. Another thing to note is that I have the ALK installed as well and gained some good positive caster, like about 7*. I see that your using two camber bolts and adjustable plates? Why the need for that much adjustment?
I would say as long as you can get clearance between the two, there is no reason to fret. Two fingers is pretty good IMO.

I know the H&R are different than what you are running but in all actuality shouldn't be that different, I would think? Besides spring style/dia. I remember seeing a few threads regarding rubbing when I was researching coilovers, some time ago, mostly on the '07 and down STi's. The only remedy I remember seeing was the use of small spacers, like 3mm or 5mm. I revisited some of that research tonight and still didn't find anything positive, as far as remedies. I believe a brand called ISC may have had a mounting length issue but the OP never reported back.

Basically, there just isn't too much you can screw up when installing these. You bolt the coilover in where it goes and there really is no other way to do it beside caster/camber adjustments.

1. They are installed in the right places/sides? I.E. they weren't marked specifically per side and maybe installed in reverse?
2. You have your camber settings correct. Plates vs. strut bolts. Perhaps dial in more negative camber on the plate and put more positive on the strut bolt.
2.a - Run only the factory camber bolt in the factory hole. Take the other bolt out and replace with the factory noncamber bolt. Utilize those plates for further adjustments.
3. Caster is correct possibly try to dial in more caster? You have an ALK? If not, get an ALK?
4. There may actually be an issue with the mount of the coilover. The bolting flange on the bottom, that bolts to knuckle, may be a hair too short. This is a very good possibility and one I am inclined to believe may be a very good possibility. This would draw the entire shock body towards the wheel. A few millimeters is all it could take to make a fingers width turn into a hairs width, or worse.
5. read the coilover install link below and see if that is how you did it. Just to chiggidy check yoself.

Post up the pics and report. Now you got me obsessing! lol

http://stevetu.com/2009/12/01/09-subaru-sti-cusco-coilover-install/

Yes I have a Gr. I am using fortune 500 coilovers. I am running the stock tires (18x8.5 +55) and the stock dunlop (245/40/18) tires. I installed them with a friend who has installed coils on tons of cars so they are definitely installed right. When the coils were initially installed there were no additional camber bolts and that led to excessive rubbing even with the stock bolts and top hat MAXED on positive camber. I had additional dampening problems with the coils so I am going to warranty them, hopefully after they are sent in and fixed. There will be no problems on the reinstall.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I would be inclined to say that there is a defect in the product if everything was done properly, as you stated. Makes me think the mounting point on the coilover is not correct and not allowing proper clearance. Or maybe they just are designed to be used with low offset wheels.:?
Have you given the manufacturer a call and explained to them your problems?