TMIC's vs FMIC's

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I need to know everything there is to know about this subject. Which one is better and why? Or should I say which one does a better job? I'm so confused on this subject. Please help!

bugeye_fever

I think it depends most on what your power goals are, and how important it is to have a cool intercooler showing through the front bumper, lol. I have heard that once you hit about 20 mph, a top mount will be cool again, but its all hearsay 'till I can find the thread from TIC. So what are your goals?

Bluedemon_II

My rule of thumb is, anything below 400whp is ok for a proper big tmic along with other heat management mods. You could heat wrap or ceramic coat the exhaust side of the turbo, downpipe, uppipe and also headers. You could also use a turbo jacket to ad more heat protection. 8mm intake manifold phenolic spacers will help keeping the manifold cooler. Throttle coolant passage bypass mod to keep the throttle cooler if you don't get snow in your area, I don't :D. I saw a very well done gold tapeish material being applied to the upper parts of the transmicion and engine surrounding the intercooler, looks cool but I cant say if it helped a lot... that stuff is pricey.

Benefits of a tmic vs fmic, decreasing lag "Over a Fmic", faster throttle response "over a Fmic", no hacking of the front bumper, no rich spikes associated with Fmic "can be tuned out if the tuner knows how to do it". If you want to keep safety up in case of a crash, a fmic is not for you. I manage to cut and reshape my front bumper beam to fit the SSAC intercooler that I had on the sti but still the integrity of that part was compromised. There is an Injen fmic that keeps the front bumper beam but for its size I would just stick with a tmic.

It all depends in your goals and what do you want to do with the car!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well it looks like all my questions are going to be answered. :tup:

Scott Stokes

Well it looks like all my questions are going to be answered. :tup:

well man i had this same issue for mine. I look at it this way, drag racing go with a big tmic, but if you are running lap after lap at a raceway. Fmic all the way. if i was a weekend drag racer i would have went for the TMIC for quicker response and more torque. But since top end was my goal, and trying not to lose alot of torque the Turboxs Racing FMIC has been amazing.

berdugo

Since I live in a tropical country, I always advocate a good fmic kit or keep it stock.

Plus going fmic allowed me to remove the hood scope so it's a bonus for me.