Torque Wrench?

PerfectCreature

I am in need of a quality torque wrench, that does not cost an arm and a leg (Like a Snap-On). I tried a Craftsman, but it was accurate to about +/- 7ft*lb. I was only able to use it on wheels.
With this summer coming up, I plan to get down and dirty and save some cash and do a few repairs myself. I need a wrench that can go as low as 10 and as high as 80. I have no other requirements, as long as they are within that range.
Can you guys help me out with a tried and true wrench?
There are just so many option, so many brands and so many mixed reviews.
Also, before you say "search" the forum won't allow me too for some reason. I can't type in the search bar, it is blank.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have a snap on torque wrench which was super expensive. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in also on a good torque wrench.

What search feature is broken? I would like to fix it.

PerfectCreature

It was the one that says 'Search' in the top right hand. It wouldn't show any text I typed in. I have Java-Script enabled for this website, so I know that is not the issue.
As far as the torque wrench, I am using them for my spark plugs, where I have to remove the fragile cast aluminum upper intake. I really want it to be spot on as to not crack that manifold, as they are not cheap.

ZachTTLM

Brownline makes a very nice torque wrench...may want to check them out as well

Holabak

As I am a master tech for a living I can say this.... Tools are exactly like car parts. You get what you pay for. Sometimes you can luck out on a cheap tool, but most of the time it ends up being total garbage. As for your torque wrench dilemma, I honestly have to agree with the guys above Harbor Freight torque wrench! Now if you need a range from 10ft lbs to 150 + I recommend you purchase the 1/2 inch drive click stop and the 3/8 drive click stop both. The 1/2 will be great for your larger bolts and gives a good amount of leverage. The 3/8's will be amazing for things like oil pan bolts, bell housing bolts and such. I recommend from experience use the 3/8's for 14mm sizes and smaller and the 1/2 for 14mm and larger. The only way I would use the 1/2 for smaller bolt sizes would be for an extreme torque load but that would be highly doubtful on say a 10mm fastener. Both the 1/2 and 3/8 from harbor freight will run you about 30 to 40 bucks. I have both in my box at work.