What does a 3 bar and a 3.5 bar do for my sti?

cobbtunedsti

I'm not sure if I have a 3 bar MAF sensor? I thought I should if Cobb built my car.. I'm kinda mad at myself for not knowing this.. I asked Cobb and they said I need one??Why didn't they tell me this before????

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yeah, I think that's what he means. In a nutshell, the stocker is only acccurate up to a certain manifold pressure - I think it's 22 psi, not sure, and not beyond that (not unlike the difference between a narrow and wideband O2 sensor). If you want to run higher boost, you want the sensor to be accurate - hence a sensor that is accurate to a higher manifold pressure.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You need this if you are running more than 22psi of boost. The stock unit is only good to 2.5 bar of absolute pressure which is only 21.5 psi of boost. If you exceed that and you have not replaced your MAP sensor your ECU will never be able to apply any compensations for boost higher than 21.5.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I can vouch for this, Btw. I know (using an EBC) that my peak held boost is 1.55 bar (22.4 PSI), but the ECU tops out at 1.27bar.

cobbtunedsti

Yes map sensor!! I have cobb's EBCS!! I'm only running 21 psi so I'm good for now.. So this will really help me make more power in the future????

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
That's odd, I'm running the GrimmSpeed ebcs and stock map sensor...high boost is 24psi and race boost is 28???

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I talked to Kevin @ Cobb yesterday about it, he said they use the Omni 3bar map sensor since it's plenty for our cars. He said basically what you just did, that the tune is fine being that they used the dyno to monitor everything though the Cobb AP wont read above 22psi. He's going to ask Calvin about it.

cobbtunedsti

Let me ask a noob question. Can just screw this in and go or do a need a tune???

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yee must tune... well scale for the new sensor anyway. If you don't you will show much less boost then is actually being seen at the manifold.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Yee must tune... well scale for the new sensor anyway. If you don't you will show much less boost then is actually being seen at the manifold.

Damn, I thought it was a plug n play unit also.