What is needed to covert to E85?

nathan2001

I was thinking about converting my car to E85. I was wondering what you need to convert it. I have a 07 sti that has stage 2 done to it right now and looking for more safe power. I was reading and they say you need a bigger fuel pump and injectors. What size fuel pump and injectors do you recommend? And do you need a fuel rail? And how much of a power increase would I see about. I put down 237hp and 249tq on a Cobb stage 2 tune.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

nathan2001

Thank You. I read some where people had idle issues with 1000cc injectors on a stock turbo. Is this true or is it all about a good tune on the car? I would like to get 1000cc injectors if it don't cause idle issues so when I get a bigger turbo I'll be good to go still. What kind fuel rail kit you guy like? I was looking at the Perrin or Aeromotive kit. I dont like Perrin kit
Cause it looks like it could be easy to have fuel leak and bulky lines. But the other kit is double what Perrin is but looks
Alot cleaner and looks like there is going to be a better seal with a screw on fitting. If you guys recommend a better kit or idea I'm all ears.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You will idle fine with 1000cc. It is all about the tune and if worse comes to worse you just increase the idle 100 rpm. No biggy. for a stock turbo I wouldn't go beyond that and the 1000's will even give you a little wiggle room if you want to upgrade to say a 18G or 20G.

I don't think it is necessary to do fuel rails but as previously suggested it can't hurt and especially if you are willing to spend the money then do it. I had aeromotive side feed rails in my last car. They were good. I have not heard anything about the perrin either good or bad.

Vermont

You will idle fine with 1000cc. It is all about the tune and if worse comes to worse you just increase the idle 100 rpm. No biggy. for a stock turbo I wouldn't go beyond that and the 1000's will even give you a little wiggle room if you want to upgrade to say a 18G or 20G.

I don't think it is necessary to do fuel rails but as previously suggested it can't hurt and especially if you are willing to spend the money then do it. I had aeromotive side feed rails in my last car. They were good. I have not heard anything about the perrin either good or bad.

According to everything I have heard here and over on IWSTI.com there are no reported problems from the Perrin fuel rails. If you are sticking with a stock location turbo for the foreseeable future then the stock rails will flow enough to meet your needs. Now if you are looking into going large rotated along with E85 then yes you might want to consider larger fuel rails.

Also 100% agree with holy about the 1000cc injectors and tuning them. Seems to be hit or miss with tuners. Although I have heard of no problems from the bigger shops in concern to idle issues. So the real question becomes, is your tuner comfortable with them? Also considering you are talking of going E85, installing a three port EBCS (Electronic Boost Control Solenoid) might be a valid option. Again talk to your tuner and find out what he likes to use. All of your gains from going E85 will be based off of your tune. So it would behoove you to find out what your tuner works best with so that he is setup with the idle conditions to increase your power.....

Hope this helps....

nathan2001

This helps out alot guys. One more thing. Any of you guys store E85 at your house in plastic drums? Closest gas station
From me is about 18miles near Pittsburgh PA. Is it safe to store, where you get your drum to store it in, how do you store it with out it going bad.