Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simple Green and hose it DOWN!

• Professionally have the Engine Bay organize

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bang876

I have only a few months before i head back to the states and have been putting some money aside for my car and would like some suggestions as to what i should do to improve it. Right now my main goal when i get back is to get the car up with simple maintenance since its been seating around for a year. Such as fluids, battery, and some elbow grease. But i also would like to clean up the engine bay, a few mods to enhance the durability of the car. I have to drive the car from Jacksonville, FL to Fort Lewis, Washington so forgive me if i sound a little paranoia about my car craping out on me. Its plenty powerful as it and for some reason i just keep thinking its going to break because of the power. Here is my engine bay. Many have probably already seen it but i would like some suggestions on modifications i could make to clean up(less clutter), reduce heat, and better air circulations. Some suggestions i have had so far includes adding a heat blanket for the turbo and replacing the filter with a short ram or cold air intake. Your suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 377568_1603081453473_1729227894_792772_984977103_n.jpg
    377568_1603081453473_1729227894_792772_984977103_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 75

Vermont

Intake manifold, CAI, and heat shielding for that turbo.

:tup:

A reverse intake manifold would do you some wonders for spool, throttle response and clutter in that engine bay. A CAI would also be great for reducing intake air temps, this would help prevent detonation (motor will last longer) and you will make more power. The heat shielding for that turbo will also help with engine bay temps and will help to keep the car running good for a long time. The best mod you can do for longevity of the engine is get a good tune. Everything I just described to you will cost less than 2k. A reverse intake manifold will run you around $1k, a good CAI will be another $250, a good tune for both of those when they go on, $500 and a turbo blanket $150 if that. Why bother with cleaning the engine bay? it is just going to get dirty again on the trip....

Vermont

I say make sure your mainenance is up to date before you spend money on anything else. All those shiny parts wont do anything for you when the timing belt snaps or your idler pully breaks and you bend your valves. But then again, why bother maintaining a race car, just throw more parts at it.

lol is some one a little angry about something? I sense a disturbance in the force here.... :D

OP already said he was going to catch up on the maintenance first before he did anything else. See me I never have to worry about this problem as I just never drive my car....

Bang876

Thanks for the suggestions guys especially Vermont and Yes Fujiwara i set aside a little over 2k for the trip up as my "OH SHIT" money.
Also would adding a CAI be a good idea in WA, because it rains nearly all year long? What is a reverse intake manifold?

Last edited:

Z1107

It doesn't rain as much as it's made out to be, just overcast all year. But it does rain more than the rest of the lower 48.

Vermont

Thanks for the suggestions guys especially Vermont and Yes Fujiwara i set aside a little over 2k for the trip up as my "OH SHIT" money.
Also would adding a CAI be a good idea in WA, because it rains nearly all year long? What is a reverse intake manifold?

A reverse intake manifold is exactly what it sounds like. The throttle body opening points towards the front of the vehicle instead of to the back. This reduces the amount of IC piping greatly. Which gives you better throttle response and decreases lag, as there is less piping that has to be pressurized by the turbo. Also unless you plan on off roading your STi into some deep ass pools you will be fine. To hydro-lock an engine you need to submerge the intake for a full engine cycle. Just driving through a deep puddle won't cause this.

This is what I am talking about for the intake manifold: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Cosworth-High-Volume-Intake-Manifold-Subaru-STI-2004-2011
For your CAI you are going to need to research which ones will fit your FMIC. Since you are located there in FL (at least your car is) then you should PM Punisher Performance here on the board about your plans (Their profile here:http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/member.php?810-Punisher-Performance-amp-Tuning ). They would be able to install and tune what ever you need done and they do very good work. For your parts if you don't have a person yet you might want to consider Jordan@Defined he has great prices and awesome customer service(his profile here:http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/member.php?128-Defined-Performance ).

Stiyle11sedan

Hrmmm....I live in WA and I would have to say that it rains all the damn time!!! As a matter of fact I ended up getting rid of my motorcycle because it sat in the garage for around 8 months out of the year before it was enjoyable to ride it. I really like being outdoors and found that ever since I moved to WA in 2002 that I just don't get to do it very much. And I am pretty anal about my car so I have to wash it all the time :(

Grinder34

Track Monkey
But i also would like to clean up the engine bay, a few mods to enhance the durability of the car.

To get you started on reliability/durability:

Oil Pickup!!
Air-Oil-Separator OR Oil Catch Can setup
Turbo Heat Shielding of some sort
Some gauges to help monitor engine conditions.

35r

CAI is fine unless you plan on parking in ponds and splashing through puddles on purpose.. aslong as you drive smart you're fine. you wouldnt believe how many times iv gone baja-ing down the road and completely submerged my pass tire and then freaked out thinking im going to hydrolock.... but nothing ever happens. just be smart about it.

Bang876

Sweet thanks Vermont! I will take your suggestions and recommendation and have contacted both and hopefully we can make it happen. Thanks everyone for your input!