Wheel bearing replacement

Z1107

To start with I have never replaced a wheel bearing before, my front drivers side bearing is going out so I am going to replace it. A couple of my friends have told me that when I go to put the new one in I am going to need to use a hydraulic press to install it on my hub assembly because its AWD, is this true?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I never had to replace one, but I think the answer is yes. You are going to have to press that wheel bearing out and in. It's inside the hub. Do you have a place around you that can take the old one out and press the new one in?

STimedic

What year and model? Easiest way to change front hub bearings is to buy an entire hub assembly and swap, thenrebuild the old assembly for a spare. Check the inside of your front upright aroun where the axle goes in. If you see 4 bolts going into the spindle, it's easy to do, but requires an impact and 14mm in addition to a 32m for the castle nut, a 26-30mm socket and hammer for motivating the old assembly out. You'll also need to remove the caliper and rotor. To make life easier later, slather some anti-seize onto the outer race when putting the new one in. If you don't have the bolt-in fronts, I can't help, sorry.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You can take the hub off and then have someone press it out. That's gonna be your best bet.

Z1107

I spoke to the dealer where I got the car and they told me that they would fix any problems(short of an engine or tranny) I have with car for the price of parts only. So ill be taking it back to them next weekend.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good deal. :thumbsup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
No the owner is just old school where he takes care of customers. He is going to see me a few more times in the coming weeks.

That's nice to find a dealership that cares. :)

Z1107

It is. Cant wait to get my decals to start advertising this site. How long do they normally take to ship?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
They will go out Thursday and you should have them by end of week. I had to order more and I'm getting them today. Holiday messed everything up, lol.