GD Whiteout Rally's build and events journal

WhiteoutRally

Welcome to our member journal for our rally team, Whiteout Rally! Make sure to check out our website and twitter/fb accounts as well, we will try to post up to the minute updates from events!

808-5s.jpg

Follow us on Twitter
Or on Facebook

Sponsors

G-Fab Motorsports
The Rally Monster
Rocky Mountain Underground
CB Dezines

Crew

Driver: Julian Fohrman
Co-Driver: Tuesday Paulson
Crew: Mike Christofferson
Builder: Graeme Tydeman

Modifications:

Engine
- Cobb AccessPort v2 w/ProTune by Tim Bailey
- Perrin 3? Downpipe
- Custom 3? Straight pipe Exhaust w/Magnaflow Race Cat
- Allwheelsdriven 34mm Turbo Restrictor
- DEFi Gauges (Oil Temp, Boost, EGT)
- Cobb lightweight Crank Pulley

Chassis/Suspension/Brakes:
- Custom G-Fab Motorsports Roll Cage
- RS&SP 1-way Adjustable Coilovers
- 05′ STi Knuckles/Hubs Modified to 5?100
- 06/07 WRX 4/2 Pot Brake Conversion
- CompBrake UK Hydraulic Handbrake
- ABS Delete
- Hawk DTC-30 Pads
- ATE SuperBlue Brake Fluid
- Custom AN Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Kartboy Short Shifter
- Team Dynamics Pro Rally 15? Gravel Rims/Speedline Corse 2118 15″ Gravel Rims
- Hankook R201, R202 Rally Tyres
- Custom Shore 90A Urethane Mudflaps
- Primative Racing Roof Scoop/Vent
- Primitive Skid Plate w/Stinger
- HDPE Underbody Protection
- TerraTrip 202 Rally Computer
- TerraPhone Pro Rally Intercoms
- Custom LED Map/Interior Lights
- Custom Pin Stands
- Hood Pins

Saftey
- Cobra Monaco Pro Seats
- Schroth Clubman 2 6-Point Harness?
- ESS 2.3 Liter 3 Zone Fire Suppression System
- Hella Master Kill Switch
- RallyLights Oil Spill Kit
- SafeDrives First Aid Kit with Custom Mounts
- 3 Saftey Triangles

Heres some photos of the car from last year when she was still all shiny...

3367032225_79f886a033_o.jpg

3367874760_030037bb47_o.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteoutRally

I will get this journal up to date sometime this week, as there are build pics all along the way and we currently are in the process of reprepping for Mt. Hood Rally!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed.

How did you hear about us?

WhiteoutRally

Facebook of course! JJ friend requested me and liked our team page a while ago, I just haven't had the time to sit down and update all of our member journals and start one on here!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I remember now. :rofl: Sorry so much going on.

WhiteoutRally

Time for another update!

With the change to rally Mt. Hood to being a Rally-America sanctioned event, we decided to move up the date of our engine build, and move to Open Light class. The past couple nights after work we have pulled the motor and started disassemble. We order Wiseco 11:1 custom pistons, and are just waiting for them to arrive! We are still working on getting the interior re-stripped and painted, but that is low on the priority list right now! Enjoy the pictures!

The shop at Mike's work

20110603_RallyBuild_Stripping_24.jpg

Dry Ice Blaster

20110603_RallyBuild_Stripping_25.jpg

Mike all crammed in the jungle gym

20110603_RallyBuild_Stripping_26.jpg

Some spots were, uh, a little difficult to get to!

20110603_RallyBuild_Stripping_28.jpg

We didn't have enough ice to get everything, but it was at least a good start!

20110826_RallyBuild_NAEngine_09.jpg

Roll cage 90% stripped (its hard and used most of the ice as it just deflects off, works better on flat surfaces then round!)

20110826_RallyBuild_NAEngine_08.jpg

New brake rotors, pads (have both HP+ and DTC-30 to try out), and new bulkhead fittings to finish off converting everything to -AN.

20110815_RallyBuild_NAEngine_01.jpg

Starting the tear down

20110826_RallyBuild_NAEngine_02.jpg

New shelving for the garage to keep everything organized as well pull the entire car apart!

20110829_RallyBuild_NAEngine_10.jpg

20110829_RallyBuild_NAEngine_10.jpg

Slowly getting more and more apart! I very glad I got a cordless impact, made pulling everything so much easier, especially when you only have an hour or two to work on the car!

20110829_RallyBuild_NAEngine_03.jpg

20110831_RallyBuild_NAEngine_12.jpg

To get the last bolt out on the bellhousing, I had to use an open ended wrench, a strap, and the engine hoist. It would have been much easier with both axles pulled, but its not required.

20110831_RallyBuild_NAEngine_04.jpg

You can leave the turbo/accessories on the engine when pulling it, they are much easier to get off when its on the stands

20110831_RallyBuild_NAEngine_13.jpg

20110901_RallyBuild_NAEngine_05.jpg

20110901_RallyBuild_NAEngine_15.jpg

Tight fight in the one car garage!

20110901_RallyBuild_NAEngine_16.jpg

Heads pulled

20110902_RallyBuild_NAEngine_19.jpg

20110902_RallyBuild_NAEngine_06.jpg

20110902_RallyBuild_NAEngine_20.jpg

20110903_RallyBuild_NAEngine_07.jpg

Turbo damage from unknown cause. Strange as there has always been a full intake system and stock filters, so nothing should have been able to make it this far up.

20110901_RallyBuild_NAEngine_17.jpg

20110901_RallyBuild_NAEngine_18.jpg

20110903_RallyBuild_Engine_30.jpg

WhiteoutRally

Update! Today the piston's arrived, so I went and stopped by Maxwell to pick up some ARP's and gaskets. Once again Dom provided great customer service, grabbing a mixture of gaskets I needed, a cam bolt (we had to drill one out), and we talked motors for a bit. Looking forward to when we move back SP or Open and to have him build/blueprint a high torque motor for us.

So heres the deal on the pistons: 11:1 compression, 1.209 comp height, 3.9170 bore size, 387-389g weight. Dome rise is .0500 with a deck thickness of .340 and dome volume of -4. Valve pocket depth is -.2550. Ringlands are .18, .125, and .075 thick with grooves of .049, .0607, and .0792 (top second third).

Going to try to get her build up this weekend, just waiting on a timing belt kit (including idlers, tensioner, and WP.

Almost everything we need:
6192680359_dc6a1d8c9a.jpg

Piston Top
6193195862_5289604481.jpg

Old/New
6192676821_d4d1880c7a.jpg

Old dome vs new negative dome volume
6193192290_df1b5d0730.jpg

WhiteoutRally

Pretty much got the long block all together, just need to pick up new gaskets for the crossover pipe, and a new torque wrench that goes down to 5ft-lbs for the cam caps. Set the rings at .019 top and .022 2nd. Gonna try to get her back in the car by this next weekend!

6205580635_a60ae9507f_z.jpg

6205582939_2cf7f02be3_z.jpg

6205586473_0c037c860d_z.jpg

6206099428_89e20fec71_z.jpg

6206103868_7dd8c382c6_z.jpg

WhiteoutRally

T-Minus 7 days and got the engine 90% back together, planning on getting it in the car tomorrow, then working on the to-do list over the weekend which includes blocking off the oil inlet/drain from the turbo, as well as the coolant lines and cleaning up the vac lines. Then onto some of the other projects, mostly electric, and a few fab items along with all the fluids being changed.

6239540913_3ed451f37d_z.jpg

Alignment marks all lined up

6240058640_6d84bf669c_z.jpg

6240059414_9847a16c13_z.jpg

Everything but the Alt, PS, and coolant tank back on

6239543163_b8288235a5_z.jpg

WhiteoutRally

So big night tonight, got the engine back in the car, and pretty much all hooked up. Some small things to finish off, then just have to fab a new exhaust piece (replacing uppipe/downpipe) and intake. Got the brake lines all redone, and the calipers back on, so brakes just need to be bled. Maybe we will make it to Mt. Hood after all!

6245483075_6e41fb8cb6_z.jpg

6245483693_fa921fd972_z.jpg

So much room!

6246005342_2538a81bf1_z.jpg

6246005988_9957e8ddca_z.jpg

Just need to weld the old holes where the grommet used to be (now the rubber grommet is in the old bracket)
6245485307_40d6c26537_z.jpg

WhiteoutRally

So Mt. Hood Rally was a great event. I'll be posting an update later, but a quick summary is we ended up third in class, and only had one mechanical problem which was easily fixed in the second service. New motor performed well, suspension felt great, and started to get a good feel for being NA.

6278319130_3266f6ff24_z.jpg

6278319062_bfc4d10c18_z.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good job. It's nice when everything starts to come together.

WhiteoutRally

Big White in BC is next, December 2-3rd.

So A little more on Mt. Hood.

We got the engine back together at the beginning of the week, and only had to mod the intake, exhaust, and get the car tuned. We called Dom at Maxwell power, and he said he would try to fit us in between appointments he already had. We had let him know a couple weeks ago we would need a tune and it would be last minute, but because we got the motor together so late and were waiting on parts so long, there were only days left. He was unable to get to the car until Thursday, when his guys and I went to town on the exhaust. To get the car onto the trailer, we cut a circular plate, took the hot side of the turbo off, and blocked it. This was just a quick bolt on to drive he car onto the trailer which had to be parked up the street (live on a big hill with WAY too much traffic).

6286898657_ae50a0ca9c_z.jpg

6286899539_4e04b09d16_z.jpg

With ended up getting a new exhaust manifold, as the stock one robs soo much power, that with NA we needed anything we could get. This will also be a great piece when we move back into open. So to finish the exhaust, we fabbed a new pieces to go from the header, up and over the crossmember, and into our 3". It turned out to be a pretty crazy piece, especially since we didn't have a mandrel bender, just using pie cuts to get the angles we needed. The guys at Maxwell worked late on the car, but Dom wasn't able to get the tune done in time for us to leave Thursday, so we would have to miss Recce. Luckily our friends with 401 Rally offered to let us copy their notes so we would at least have something. Friday morning Dom hammered out the tune, car made 149hp and 150q. Everything was running well, except we had a plug that kept popping off the #4 coilpack. A zip tie seemed work as a temporary fix, and we were off.

Made it to registration just as it opened, and got everything sorted. We then headed to the campground where the rally HQ and service was located. Tuesday set to work with Jason to copy his notes, and I unloaded the rally car and took it up to service. We made it through with two small problems, a license plate bulb was out and I had pulled a mudflap off unloading the car. After tech, we headed to the novice meeting, which lasted until 21:00. After that, Tuesday worked to setup our service area and tents, and I headed to the local Walmart to pick up a few last minute things. After I got back our crew had arrived, and we set to work to finish the last couple items such as applying the new Rally America stickers, adjusting the belts to where we wanted them, and putting a new mudflap on.

Sat morning rolled around, and we got up nice and early to top off the car with fuel, check all the fluids, and do a final once over. We pulled into park expose a few minutes early (to make up for having to leave last year to fix the rotor ;) ) and we were soon on the first transit. First stage went well, mostly just getting used to the new motor since I hadn't driven it yet, and making some adjustments to the brake bias. Tuesday was quickly getting back in the hang of co-driving, and we made it back to the first service incident free.

A quick check over things, some water and food, and we were back out to Rd 17 and Fir mountain. The first two short stages went well, and we were sitting third in class. We got to Fir Mountain, the longest stage of the day, and found out we would be transitting. Apparently the first car of Mark Fox had almost hit a motorcycle, so they shut the stage down. During the transit thru the long stage, we started to hear and fell something clunking and moving. Steering seemed a bit off, but couldn't really tell at 25mph. After we got to the next stage, we didn't have time to check it out, so we decided to just push on. Throughout the stage things just started to feel more and more funny, and I could tell something was moving. Initial thought was motor or transmission mount as I could feel something moving up and down. We made it through the stage, and as soon as we got into service our crew went to down. The culprit? The cotter pin had sheered off and the castle nut on the lower ball joint was only on by a couple threads. The feeling was the ball joint/knuckle moving around. Quick fix, and we were back out. Again, rd 17 went well, and the second pass of Fir Mountain started off great. We were pushing a bit harder, and it was easily the fastest stage of the day for us. About 2/3rd thru, we cam up on a red cross. DAMN....a car had rolled and was completely blocking the stage. The rotated the car so we could squeeze past, and it was another transit for the long stage. All we had left was one more pass, and it began to get dark. The last stage we ended up getting stuck in hanging dust, and lost quiet a bit of time. We ended up 3rd in Open Light out of 8 cars, a minute behind 2nd and 2 behind 1st. It was a great rally and we had a ton of fun, and finished like we set out to do. There was a ton of room to push harder, but we just wanted to get a finish and seat time, and start to get the feel for the new car.

On the way home, just after I switched from driving to let our co-driver take over, we blew a trailer tire. Of course we were on the bridge in between Oregon and Washington, so it was kind of a nightmare. Luckily, someone from Sweep happened to pass, pulled over behind us, and made sure we didn't get hit while changing the tire. Again thanks for looking out for us and sweeping the whole way home!

6287471630_69554f26ff_z.jpg

6286953203_1d09fa874f_z.jpg

6287470800_e4a3487771_z.jpg

WhiteoutRally

Until you have 9 coefficients, then you can apply to unrestricted license and it's up to their digression, and at 18 you automatically get an unrestricted license. We are gonna run the whole 2012 season (hood counted for the first event) in open L so we can go for regional class wins