GD WorldRallyBug's WRB Bugeye. The long journey

WorldRallyBug

WorldRallyBug

Quickie update. I've been talking with a local shop about my plan, working on some revisions. Yesterday I had the chance to sit down and work on my "concept" drawings for what I want the car to eventually look like. Its pretty much a WRC style widebody and wing. But will retain the interior, which Is being drawn on a different page.
188351_10150104031651991_626191990_6833440_5886700_n.jpg

WorldRallyBug

^Eventually. I'd like to get the design sorted before I do that. I just ordered a book on racing aero, so It'll hopefully have some good advice.

On a side note, I'm working on the designs for other bits:
the V-mount I/c is pretty much planned out, I'm drawing pretty heavily from prodrive's designs on the WRC cars, aswell as some other subaru race/time attack cars i've seen with V-mounts. The ducting is gonna be alot of fun.
I'm working on the calculations for the equal length exhaust manifold, But I need a specific measurement: What is the exhaust port diameter on a EJ20?

WorldRallyBug

Quick update, my books came in: "competition car suspension" and "new directions in racecar aerodynamics" I've started reading, really good information in here, and hopefully it'll help me with my designs.

WorldRallyBug

Well good news! I just ordered an AEM Wideband 02 and AEM Boost Gauge for the WRX. AND I've sourced my WRC Wing (s7, s8 style) I'll be roadtripping up to virginia next friday to go get it! I'm stoked. The plan is to sell the STi trunk/wing I've got on there now and use that money for some RCE Yellows. I CANT WAIT! finally I'm getting started.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Awesome can't wait to follow your build.

WorldRallyBug

I want your car

I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.. Well anything within reason...

UPDATE: Thanks to Jordan at defined My gauges arrived the other day, and my parents brought them down when they came to help me move my stuff out of the dorm. I just finished installing the boost gauge and test fitting the Wideband. Pics to follow (my camera is dead... :( ). It works great, and is really fun to watch.
Also, I'm picking up my WRC wing and Spec-C trunk on Friday!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice. Can't wait to see this build.

WorldRallyBug

The trip to pick up the WRC wing was a huge success. Picked up and installed the wing. Again, no good pictures of it yet. But here's a teaser:
228331_10150175247941991_626191990_7252626_2615986_n.jpg

I've been working alot lately on sketches and designs, after seeing the Varis GRB STi :
229052_10150182560686991_626191990_7319820_2836862_n.jpg

I decided that I wanted a front end that looked that aggressive, So I designed one; Its only on paper right now, but I plan on downloading a CAD? program to make a digital 3-d version (anyone have input on what program to use??). I'll scan the drawings and post them up soon, I could use some outside input.
I've gotten my diffuser measurements and drawings done, pretty much at the same point as the front end designs.
I've been following the KillerBmotorsports front mount turbo thread on IWSTi and it has inspired me to try and develop a similar solution for the VF37 twin scroll turbo I plan on using, again focusing on heat management and engine response.
And Finally!, I've come up with my color scheme for the exterior. I've been thinking about this alot and have settled on a Flat Black vinyl wrap with bronze or gold Enkei RFP-1's in 17 or 18x9, I think for my track set of wheels/tyres I'm going to go with the Enkei RC-T'4's in the same size and fitment.
lotus_renault_f1_2011.jpg

If anyone wants a standard WRX trunk with STi wing I'm trying to sell mine, or trade it for stuff I need (aka RCE yellows ;) ) #shamelessplug

Last edited:

WorldRallyBug

I haven't updated this in a while. The wing and trunk are on the car, and I acquired a set of Prodrive blue springs as well as a V-limited replica lip. Recent pictures:
270334_10150220043661991_626191990_7618255_4738322_n.jpg

267961_10150220044226991_626191990_7618260_4547023_n.jpg

Overall my goals haven't changed, but I'm beginning to rethink the methods. Undertray and Diffuser are still in development, and I'm looking into 3-D imaging software to make things a little bit easier.

Paul.c

New trunk and park bench look great! Did you ever decide on a program or get any 3d renderings of your front and rear?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looking nice. I like it.

bugeye_fever

Hey thats a nice looking bugeye! Can I request a close up on that front lip? I like the look of them on the newer models but thats the first one I've seen that I like on a bugeye, thanks!

WorldRallyBug

New trunk and park bench look great! Did you ever decide on a program or get any 3d renderings of your front and rear?
I still haven't gotten started with the 3d renderings, I'm still looking into which programs I can get through school. As of now everything is in my sketchbook.

Hey thats a nice looking bugeye! Can I request a close up on that front lip? I like the look of them on the newer models but thats the first one I've seen that I like on a bugeye, thanks!
Thanks! I'll make sure to get a close up of the front lip this weekend, It's actually an ebay repro (it will eventually be replaced with a CF one) for an 06'07 that I modified to fit the bugeye. It wasn't hard but just took some time.

WorldRallyBug

Ooooh, I see. Cool man, thanks

No problem! I think I'm going to replace it with a prodrive lip in the long run though...

I need the assistance of the collective knowledge of IGOTASTI on this next issue. I came across this picture
Foto-3FPOXV6O.jpg

and cannot figure out what foglights/ foglight covers those are. Any ideas what they are? They look amazing and I want a set!