Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I know GM can build a twin turbo V8. I've seen them do it. You could look back to my days and find several renditions of the firebird that had twin turbo V8's.

Way back when I was a field service tech I was fortunate enough to visit the GM tech center in Detroit. That was there main research and development facility and they produced many different prototypes. Unfortunately they would destroy anything they ever made after its purpose was fulfilled including whole cars. Well one of the bean counters there found that there was a lot of money being spent on transportation and utility vehicles so they had the idea to distribute prototype vehicle to the employees for use on sight and for utilitarian purposes instead of destroying them after use.

The maintenance person that I was with was given an S10 pickup truck with a 454 twin turbo engine. He took me out on the test track and I can say without a doubt that that was the scariest and fastest vehicle I have been in to date.

So I have no doubt that GM can do it well.

60md

10,000rpm's? Turbo? I'm hopefully no where near a mid-life crisis yet this has my attention!

Rice Rocket

Good for them. Nice to see some forward thinking coming from the American manufacturers.
Wouldn't it suck if they badge it an Opel and didn't sell it here. Lol

Good for them. Nice to see some forward thinking coming from the American manufacturers.
Wouldn't it suck if they badge it an Opel and didn't sell it here. Lol

What do you mean nice to see some forward thinking coming from American manufactures? Ford has been tearing it up and the Corvette has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to performance for the $$$$. I really hope Chevy does this, could help the price of the C6 Z06's drop a bit so I can get into one. :D

Rice Rocket

What I mean is the writing is on the wall for the big v8 and above European manufacturers are already starting to look to force induction to replace large motors. I just read an article in Evo magazine that pointed to BMW as a prime example.
Now GM is rumored to be doing the same. Forward thinking.
There is a replacement for displacement. Its called sales.

Z1107

Ford's ecoboost program was in development for 10 years before it was implemented, they saw the writing on the wall and knew that a majority of americans want power but efficiency, thats why they will probably be the number 1 us automaker for some time.

bugeye_fever

Very intersting, I had no idea the ecoboost program has been around that long. I don't know how long GM's been planning these smaller motors, but lets hope it doesn't take to long. I had to scratch my head at the 890 mil in their new engine plant, DI and new combustion system, but keeping the ohv to keep costs down?.. 890 MILLION?

I know for a fact that they've had a production ready 4.5L Duramax for Several years now, as powerful as the gen1 6.6 but more efficent though it has yet to make it into anything production.

Z1107

They were originally designing it for the new F100 pickup and mustang, but the boys on the F150 design team got jealous and pretty much ruined the F100 idea and ford had already put so much money into the coyote v8 that were going to dump ecoboost and only put it on Taurus and lincolns. We can thank the new CAFE standards for ecoboost becoming a household name now. Every one wanted to go with hybrids, but ford knows Americans love power so they stuck with ecoboost.

Vermont

The new ford Ecoboost technology is pretty awesome..... Ford is finally starting to sell the stuff from Europe here in the states. Ford has been using small displacment turbo engines in their European models for a long time now. The Sierra RS Cosworth is a prime example of this. Also the New Ford Focus RS they are bringing here is supposed to be an all-wheel drive turbo charged hatch back..... GM on the other hand has a habit of fearing change. They dump tons of money into proto-types and experiments then just sit around using technology from 50 years ago in their new models as they fear if they change no will purchase GM. That's why their line of Pick-ups just sucks. In the light duty gasoline category the F-150 Owns them hard core. Then in the Heavy duty diesel the Dodge Ram dominates.....

Z1107

sucked that ford dropped the f100 because the f150 guys didnt want a turbo 6 outperforming their triton v8. Then they stole those engines for the f150. That was going to be an awesome replacement for the danger ranger.

Z1107

putting out about the same power, LAME. I used to love domestic cars now I cant stand them. Correction I cant stand GM and Chrysler cars. At least Ford is making progress.

Z1107

I'll give you that, but it's like they say you get what you for, and the past few generations pieces of crap reliability wise.

Rice Rocket

To be honest I have a ton of respect for the Corvette and Mustang. With the corvette you get near supercar performance for a great price. But then I've always been partial to mustangs. The new gt is an awesome machine.
But I've always liked machines that outperform expectations ie the STI.

To be honest I have a ton of respect for the Corvette and Mustang. With the corvette you get near supercar performance for a great price. But then I've always been partial to mustangs. The new gt is an awesome machine.
But I've always liked machines that outperform expectations ie the STI.

The new GT is awesome. If I were to loose my STI I'd probably end up getting one. :tup: