Noob mistake

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So today i cleaned my MAF with electrical contact cleaner. Did I fuck anything up? Oh and you bet I sprayed the shit out of it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342992453.283716.jpg

Vermont

Hmmmm. not sure to be honest with you. That sensor is super delicate, even more so than the front o2. My buddy messed up the on on his 350z when installing an intake just by dropping it, and were talking like a one foot drop at most. I would say plug it in and test it out. If it works and you get no Cels or poor running then you should be good. The thing is though a messed up MAF could cause all sorts of problems for the car, everything from piss poor idle, not starting to knock and rich running. If you have any way to log I would do some quick logs to make sure the car is still happy.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
There was a CEL that came on. High temp electrical current or what not. I let it dry for an hour and started right up. Drove and no issues.

Would you strongly recommend NOT to do this again? :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have used the electrical contact cleaner myself. It is fine and safe for cleaning a maf :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I know Alin scared the crap out of me with his texts. How long did you use the contact cleaner for George and how many times would you say you cleaned the same sensor?

It all could be a ploy to get more money from us, but I thought maf cleaner was supposed to be less harsh. Guess it may be a ploy after all.....

Well I can put it to you this way... we use it at work to clean PC boards and contact. It smells like trichloroethane to me which is pretty safe for all electronic devices. If it is good for surface mounted components I would imagine it is safe for a MAF. Especially when you consider it is nothing more than a wire and a thermo resistor.

Hell I have even used break cleaner in a bind a couple of times :lol:

Vermont

As I understand it the Maf is just a piece of wire that is heated up to a constant temperature, the ecu then measures how many volts are used to keep the wire at the right temperature and deduces the amount of air coming in from that. Am I correct or way off on this one?

Personally I will never use anything else besides Maf cleaner simply for the reason of how much those suckers cost. a $2-$4 savings is not worth the $150-$200 for a new part is MIGHT bring about....