1/4 ad 1/8 Mile Questions

House03

So I've had my 2012 STi for almost a year now, but other than the occasional WOT to pass, I have not just plain opened it up yet. My main question is about stock drivetrain components and how well they hold as far as launching on the drag strip. I was a Ford technician for about four years, and have owned a 2004 Mustang GT, 2003 Lightning, and a 1993 Cobra, in which most cases, all three vehicles could take a straight punch in the gut off the line, but not a 6000-7000 clutch drop like I've tried once or twice on the street in the Subie. Maybe I'm just not familiar with high RPM clutch drops, or is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of?

Please excuse me, as this is my first post on here, so please redirect me if I just so happened to miss a section where I may find a similar thread.

Thanks,
Kelly

Cobb Stage 1 AP
Cobb CAI
Nameless Muffler Delete

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Semi-off-topic:

Do you use launch control and flat-foot shifting?

House03

No, I'm new to a turbo car, finally getting the hang of it by just adjusting my gas and clutch On/Off timing, which works, but I can't bang second gear without lighting up the tires on the street.

House03

Sweet, thanks a bunch. I think my main concern was just launching on all stock drivetrain, but I'll play around with the AP and see what it'll do!

Airpig

One piece of advice I got from Adam at LIC motorsports. Never launch with passengers in the back. Don't lower the car to where the axles aren't in line horizontally. I find this out after popping the bearing cage on the left rear of my 04 STI. After that make sure you use the clutch to get off the line. It doesn't take much slip to ensure everything stays in place. Mr "Bro" himself with dynoflash tuning actually has a video explaining how to launch a high horse AWD and suggest a quick view. Otherwise Don't drive it like a RWD Mustang for you have way more grip. Shift quick sure but don't try for wheel chatter. It's an entirely different animal. Cheers.