2012 Sti Starter just clicks once

Hey new to the forum here and today my 2012 sti wouldnt start after driving it for about 15 min it sat for two hours went out to start it to leave a buddies house and it just clicked once. i popped the clutch and got it started the CEL came on and S light and cruise light started to flash shut it off and hooked up my snap on scanner and had P0335, P0345, and P0340 come up cleared codes and it still wouldnt start brand new battery. popped the clutch again CEL stayed off and the S light and cruise light didn't flash. drove home was going to replace starter and i pulled into the garage and shut the car off decided to see if it would start back up and it did. Now im getting a electrical burning smell im at lost for words any help would be much appreciated!! thank you!!
stock 2012 sti it is tuned by fathouse fab here in indiana!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Ahh shit. Those codes reference a potential problem with camshaft position sensor(s). I don't have any personal experience with this, but it makes me wonder if your timing belt jumped a tooth or two. I would be very concerned about trying to start/drive the car that way, considering that our engines are "interference" types (meaning that the pistons will hit the valves if they are open when the piston comes to top dead center). If you do drive it like this, I'd definitely baby it. If it's off just a little bit, you might be 'okay' until you put your foot down hard and the AVCS adjusts the valvetrain.

Being that you DID drive it without any obvious damage, I am led to believe these codes could be erroneous.

As for the starter (I don't know, but maybe the computer is preventing current from kicking the starter due to the error codes), the first thing that comes to mind is a relay/solenoid. I should know whether the STi uses a solenoid, but I do not. That said, I am certain that there is an ignition relay that feeds high current to the starter. They are generally pretty cheap and are easy to replace. So that is a good troubleshooting option.

I would call your tuner and tell him what happened. He likely has more experience in this department than I do.

Lastly, did you clear the codes? If so, did they reappear later? I don't know if your code reader has the ability to clear codes/reset the ECU. If not, you can disconnect the positive battery terminal (wrap it in a plastic bag or a shop rag, so it doesn't slouch over and touch the battery post), get in the car and turn the key, press the horn and pump the brakes. Doing this for 10 seconds or so should drain any capacitive energy out of the electrical system. This resets the ECU.

Hopefully at this point, the starter will kick the engine over. Don't freak out, but it will take a ton of starter kicks to fire the engine after an ECU reset.

Let us know how it goes and what you find. :tup:

Last edited: