Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Hey Everyone,

Back for more Subaru punishment. Since my last STi, I?ve had a series of unfortunate cars (they?ve all been fine, just boring) that have, however, afforded me an opportunity to get back into a really nice car. Being delivered within the next couple weeks via some help from my local used car manager (aka Dad), will be a 2015 WRX STi limited in galaxy blue. I?m very excited to trade in my boring suv and get back in an STi.

I will be keeping mods to a minimum through the end of the warranty and then going stage 1-2 for a few years while I build a motor for future. Should be a fun journey. I?m open to any suggestions for visual and suspension mods. I?m leaning towards black mud flaps, oem style front/side/rear lip kit, and spt exhaust (I?d like something a little more aggressive but doubt the wife would love it haha).

Hope you guys enjoy the process, should be a long one.

STi.jpg

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Quick update:
Shipping is being lined up currently, so I am hoping to see the car by Friday/Saturday.
I've reached out to my favorite Subaru vendor Jordan @DefinedPerformance with an early list of maintenance and minor mods to get that ball rolling. Within the first week my goal is to do a thorough cleaning inside and out, replace oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and take inventory of any worn parts. Has anyone heard a 15+ stock STi in person that went the muffler delete route? I've heard several accounts on YouTube of guys saying it is louder on cold start and WOT but actually has less drone and is nicer for daily driving than the SPT exhaust I was considering.

There doe not seem to be a lot on the site in the way of 2015+ specific threads, so if I can help with any write-ups or reviews of products I will try to do that when time allows. I'd like to give back to this car community that helped me out so much a few years ago.

After reading through the Oil threads here and on a different unnamed site, is there a consensus yet on whether a stock car benefits from AmsOil over Rotella T6? I ran AmsOil in the 06 build and loved it, but that was a very different animal. Seems silly to pay double for AmsOil if T6 will hold up well to spirited daily driving in PA. And given the stock configuration currently, 5w40 should be okay right? (I don't think they make 5w30)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Firstly, welcome back to the subie game! Overall, the community is still going really strong, so you're in the clear, especially on IGOTASTI!! Second, congrats on the new ride! You'll have to let us know how it compares to your old car. Third, if you're not going to be tracking and doing heavy duty racing, Rotella T6 will be more than suitable. Just change your oil every 3,000-3,500 miles and you'll be golden. I run T6 in ALL my cars, hot or cold weather, and everything has been perfect. If you want peace of mind, you can send you oil samples to Blackstone Labs and they can do a used oil analysis. T6 is legit oil and more than suitable for us. Whether it's in a gasoline or diesel engine, it holds up. :tup:

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Sounds good, I see so much conflicting info. It seems to me longevity with these cars comes down to driver habits and a proper tune if modified.

I think my first purchases this weekend are going to be:
- oil
- oil filters
- air filter
- cabin filter
- mud flaps

You know...the exciting stuff haha

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How many miles are on the car?

Whenever I get a used car, I always change the following:

-engine oil and filter
-transmission oil
-rear diff oil
-air filter (or clean if possible)
-cabin filter
-ac and drive belts
-brake fluid
-clutch fluid (if applicable)
-power steering fluid
-spark plugs
-any old vacuum lines

These are the main things. If any other part isn't in working order, I replace as it comes along. :tup:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
My Dad is a used car manager and the car is coming in through him and being checked by the service department (I should get to look over it while it is on the lift, which will be nice). If they recommend I change anything more than what I am already planning, I will for sure. Some of the other items will end up getting replaced as I start modding (plugs, other fluids, belts, etc.). Otherwise I will probably stick with the Subaru maintenance schedule as it has always worked for me in the past. It has about 42k miles. I'll probably put about 6k on it a year and I am planning to hang onto it for a long time. I like how easy these cars are to work on and understand vs. some of the newer stuff out. As I posted in a different thread, I looked in the new Ford Focus RS and 5.0 Mustangs (grew up a Ford guy) but both of those motors are way more complicated (to me) and therefore more expensive should anything go boom. So lots of research and debating later I went with the "dated, old, slower, blah blah blah" option and I'm very happy about it!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Picking up the STi today after work :D

Was able to go see it and do a test drive last Friday. Teaser clip below (as usual with a cell phone recording, it sounds nicer in person). Turned out the previous owner installed a muffler delete axleback (not disclosed in listing). Seemed really nice, not a huge fan of the winter sport Dunlops, but I suppose they will be good for a year or so. A few parts coming in today from Jordan @DefinedPerformance (RA mudflaps, magnetic drain plug, oil filter, air filter). Nothing too exciting, but it's about to begin. Pictures to come!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oooooh just a few hours away!!!!! I put over 400 miles on my STi the first night I got it! :rambo: You gonna cruise?!?!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Oooooh just a few hours away!!!!! I put over 400 miles on my STi the first night I got it! :rambo: You gonna cruise?!?!

Nah, crummy weather around here today and tomorrow. I'll take it home and get it cleaned really well inside and out and then see about getting it over to my buddies lift to clean underneath this weekend. Then it will be cruisin time!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Anyone have recommendations for a vanity plate? I'm considering going with one this time around.

Some initial thoughts:
BEWSTED
SCOOBIE
THRSTI
FLT4BXR

From you guys:
BOOOOST

I'm not the creative type so I've just been searching and modifying ones I like.

Eagleye

Tinkerer

Added to the list, keep em coming!

Also, I forgot to note yesterday (or in today's post) I was unable to pick up the car yesterday due to some scheduling issues...:doh:
sooooo...looking more like Friday/Saturday instead. No big deal, this way I can do all the paperwork I was going to have to come back for when the title arrived.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I had "SPOOL_ME" at one point. :tup:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I had "SPOOL_ME" at one point. :tup:

Yeah I tried spoolin and spooled but they are both taken or they would have been on the list too. It's such an added expense now vs years ago that I'm not sure it's worth it, we'll see.

In other news, everything is in order at the dealership now and I'm hoping to bring it home tomorrow...we shall see...very busy day.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
All this waiting is killing us! :banghead:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
All this waiting is killing us! :banghead:

Haha trust me however the community feels, I'm 100X more anxious and ready to begin posting more about it. :tard:
I'm fairly certain my Dad will be just as happy for me to have it so i can quit bugging him about it multiple times each day haha. I'll be taking him for a round of golf and some beers after this is all done.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Ok, car came home yesterday...finally!

My 2 year old loved the ride home, and then he helped me wash it. We had a good time. Snapped a couple of pics for an igotasti social media post that everyone may want to look out for soon...;)

This evening I checked the oil, cleaned the air filter, and removed the "SUBARU" & AWD badges from the rear. My uncle is coming by with his black 04 STi tomorrow so that will be fun (I'll try to get a few pictures).

20180426_203411.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
TIME TO HAVE SOME SERIOUS FUN!!!!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Anyone have recommendations for a vanity plate? I'm considering going with one this time around.

Some initial thoughts:
BEWSTED
SCOOBIE
THRSTI
FLT4BXR

From you guys:
BOOOOST

I'm not the creative type so I've just been searching and modifying ones I like.

There is now a live contest on the igotasti.com Instagram page related to my vanity plate search. Go check it out!