AEM Intake and Downpipe Combo

Eagleye

Tinkerer
i meant as in I?ll be fine with the intake and downpipe combo? No need for injectors and fuel pump, right?

Correct. You will not need either at this stage. Both will need upgraded if you decide to do a turbo swap, go e85, etc.

OrtizSti

There is a lot of fear mongering in the Subaru community. This site is a good resource as we have little misinformation ever posted, and when it is there is a correction made by a mod or another member. You will notice a lot of "you must do X or you will blow up your car" or "never do Y because your car will blow up". Be rational. Having a turbo, this car is sensitive to air and fueling changes. With that in mind it is wise to limit time a car is driven without a proper tune following mods. A canned tune from Cobb for your mods will get you in the ballpark to drive to the tuner. If you can trailer the car that would be ideal but isn't realistic for everyone. When I built my motor for the 06 STi I had George (member here) make me a safe tune for me to drive out of boost until the car was dyno tuned. It did not blow up because I understood that I needed to drive gently and out of boost.

Do not live in fear of your car blowing up. Take advice of experienced members on this forum and your preferred tuning shop. Enjoy and keep asking questions. Learning about these cars is a fun process.
I appreciate each and every one of you, thank you for all the advice and guidance, I couldn't be any prouder of this community

As a side note if you ever decide to upgrade the fuel pump, that is one mod that does not require a tune. Your FPR regulates your fuel pressure regardless of what pump you install. However, installing an aftermarket fuel pump would ensure that with your tune you would not lean out on upper rpm range due to lack of stock pump flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrtizSti

Hey guys, so update on my car, I installed a full turboback exhaust, boost controller, aos, and intake. I got it protuned as well. I?m pushing 330 torque and 300 hp. Up next are some fuel upgrades, my question is, do I need to upgrade the fuel lines and rails, or can I just upgrade the pump and injectors? Do I also need a fuel pressure sensor?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Remind me again, what is your ultimate power goal? If you are keeping it in the 400whp-and-under ballpark, you shouldn't need a fuel rail upgrade. As for fuel lines, they should be fine well past 500whp. Pump and injector upgrades should be sufficient. I'm not sure why you would need a fuel pressure sensor.

But like I said, figure out what your end goal is and let me know, so I can offer the best advice for that power level (so you don't have to buy mods twice).

OrtizSti

Remind me again, what is your ultimate power goal? If you are keeping it in the 400whp-and-under ballpark, you shouldn't need a fuel rail upgrade. As for fuel lines, they should be fine well past 500whp. Pump and injector upgrades should be sufficient. I'm not sure why you would need a fuel pressure sensor.

But like I said, figure out what your end goal is and let me know, so I can offer the best advice for that power level (so you don't have to buy mods twice).
400whp and under ball park, that?s what I?m aiming for. Nothing too crazy

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
400whp and under ball park, that?s what I?m aiming for. Nothing too crazy

Cool. You'll be fine with stock fuel rails and lines.

I also forgot to mention a fuel pressure regulator, that?s to fix the stumble right?

Your STi is 15 years newer than mine, so I'm not sure what would be required. Are you currently experiencing said 'stumble'? I was under the impression that it was mosty confined to GR chassis model years (2008-2009ish).
[MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] ^^^ ???

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Mine does not have the stumble, I do believe that was reserved for the lucky owners of the previous gen.

We do still have the power dip in the factory tune though.

Pleochroic

I had Takeda power intake with custom downpipe along with HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust on my 15 wrx sti vab (JDM) & ROM-tune was fined until a dumb naive mistakes that blewn my stock turbo, lesson learnt :oops: Had an great offer deal for Tomei M7760 :lol: along with Mishimoto fmic... My nx on mind would be crank, fuel injector&bigger pump :cool:

OrtizSti

I had Takeda power intake with custom downpipe along with HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust on my 15 wrx sti vab (JDM) & ROM-tune was fined until a dumb naive mistakes that blewn my stock turbo, lesson learnt :oops: Had an great offer deal for Tomei M7760 :lol: along with Mishimoto fmic... My nx on mind would be crank, fuel injector&bigger pump :cool:
what were you pushing before you blew the turbo?

bigjoe495

Hey guys, so update on my car, I installed a full turboback exhaust, boost controller, aos, and intake. I got it protuned as well. I?m pushing 330 torque and 300 hp. Up next are some fuel upgrades, my question is, do I need to upgrade the fuel lines and rails, or can I just upgrade the pump and injectors? Do I also need a fuel pressure sensor?
My car is in the shop as we speak it’s a 2018 STI. I’m doing the exact same work as you. I’m doing an air oil separator Cobb intake and a Cobb exhaust from turbo back. I was told that I need to do my injectors. My pro tuner said I can get by with just doing a fuel pump. How is your car running without doing the injectors. I’m also getting a pro tune.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You're really going to want the injectors. If I remember correctly, the factory injectors are going to be nearly maxed out when your tuner is done. Plus, if you go for more power in the future (don't we all?) you will absolutely need larger injectors.

bigjoe495

You're really going to want the injectors. If I remember correctly, the factory injectors are going to be nearly maxed out when your tuner is done. Plus, if you go for more power in the future (don't we all?) you will absolutely need larger injectors.
Well my tuner , installed a bugger fuel pump , to help compensate for the injectors . But yes I guess my next step would be is to get the injectors . He was able to tune my car , so far so good . Lots of power thx