How To: VA Replace OEM HID Bulbs to Aftermarket Bulbs

STIKC

Objective

This tutorial is based on replacing your OEM HID bulbs with aftermarket bulbs. This tutorial will show you how to replace the 2 low beam bulbs, this is based on factory HID headlights only. The reason this tutorial was created was simply to give you a heads up on the best way to accomplish this task without scratching your head for too long. Overall the install is easy and the average person can do it without a DIY tutorial, this was simply made to show you the best route to take before jumping into it.

NOTE: THIS TUTORIAL IS BASED OFF A 2013 SUBARU WRX STI. THIS TUTORIAL IS TARGETED FOR 08+ SUBARU WRX/STI MODELS WITH HID HEADLIGHTS.

Task Difficulty

Easy -- 10-15 Minutes

Budget

• The budget is really up to your specifications on the company you choose to purchase from. In this tutorial I used DDM Tuning bulbs which have a lifetime warrentee. If something falls through on the warrentee there very cheap to replace.
Tools Needed

• Flat Head Screw Driver
  • #10 Deep Socket w/ Wrench
Bulbs to Replace

• Low Beam Bulbs (2) - D2S
Bulbs to Purchase

As mentioned there are endless places to buy from, below is where I purchased mine...

DDM Tuning ($15 + Shipping):
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-Bulb-Replacements-Pair

Closing Comments

My personal company of choice was used in this tutorial to buy bulbs from. Most would recommend 6k to be the temperature of choice to get the most brightness. In this tutorial, I used 8k to give my headlights a hint of blue in color. It is not recommended to go over 8k because the chances of being pulled over for the color is highly increased. Another smart option I would personally do is place the OEM bulb into a secure container (Mine came with a capsule so I just reused it for my OEM bulbs) to store in a safe location. That way if the bulbs give you trouble or you have to change back you saved you expensive OEM bulbs.​

STIKC

How-To

Remove Battery

Take your #10 deep socket wrench and remove all 4 bolts declared in the image below.

1.jpg

Remove Weather Cap

Simply grab the plastic cab and turn left to allow it to detach from the assembly.

2.jpg

Remove Igniter Cord

Turn silver item in picture below to the left and gently pull away.

3.jpg

Release Hold Clamps

Push clamps on each side of the bulb plug and push away from the bulb un-hooking it from the metal tabs.

4.jpg

Remove Short Ram Air Duct

Use a flat head screwdriver to pop both clips declared in the image. Then follow directions above to do passenger side headlight.

5.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We agree!