Thanks Thanks:  137
Likes Likes:  207
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Silver Bullet 2004 WRX STI

1. Top Of Page | #231

User Info Menu

Re: Silver Bullet 2004 WRX STI

Quote Originally Posted by Raven32 View Post
    So time for an update. Shortly after last post I found out that my issues were worse than initially expected. Did a leak-down test on all cylinders and found that cyl 1 and cyl 4 have bent valves. intake valves on cyl 4 and exhaust on cyl 1. Failure was tracked down to a faulty tensioner on tbelt. Long story short decided to take a break from the car and work on the house for a bit. Well my entire summer has slipped by and now i want to start getting her back to a running state. Especially since i finally got a e-85 station here in town. That being said I need some advice.. what vlaves to go with. Currently have Manley I beam rods, Manley Turbo Tuff pistons oem crank and oem block. Additionally have King Race bearings on rods/mains.

I am thinking of going with Brian crower or Manley valves but not sure which ones to go with yet. Also duel spring or single spring. Right now i plan to keep oem cams because its outside of budget to get 272 cams just yet and its my daily.
    @HolyCrapItsFast, @Alin, @IGOTASTi @Doppelganger, what do y'all think and what questions should i be asking and who should i be asking them. This is my first time dealing with valve train on Subaru's and theres just too much conflicting information all over the place, and would prefer advice from those that I trust. Thanks in advance for any helpfully information that y'all can provide. o

Would be nice to be able to rev out to 8k rpm also, but with stock cams its not gonna be effective at all. But since i am doing the valve train anyway why not prep it so i don't have to pull motor apart again.

Thanks in advance as always.
    Sorry to hear about your bent valves bro. I know George has a place he takes his heads to get redone so he probably will chime in. From my personal experience Dave from headgames motor works spent some time thru email and a good 30 minutes talking to me over the phone about my build goals.

The main thing that I did different then most was I went with the stainless steel retainers over the titanium since my cars goal is for a reliable fun daily driver that I can take on road trips. The research I did makes it sound like titanium retainers have more maintenance and don't last as long as stainless but they are lighter which would be better for the higher red line you might be going with.

The only other feedback I would give to you is I wish I had the third nut syndrome I currently have with porting and polishing before I sent my heads off to be redone. If I did I probably would have ported the intake and exhaust runners and openings and left the bowl blending and valve job to the pros.

I know I'll probably end up building my second motor and head set for high reving so I see a long rod motor and titanium springs with cams in the far future after I buy my house.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #232
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

I can't help since I don't have knowledge on internals. Best bet would be:
    @HolyCrapItsFast George and RAD

The others that come to mind are: @WRB_STi @Batmobile_Engage @Boogieman98 @Grinder34 @35r

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

4. Thanks Raven32, IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes Raven32, IGOTASTi liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #233
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

Shitttt... Idk much about the heads and valvetrain. Maybe @WRB_STi could offer some advice.

My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/show...Member-Journal

6. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #234

User Info Menu

Small update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock on

8. Thanks Alin, IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, IGOTASTi, Doppelganger liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #235

User Info Menu

love it!

Check out my journal here!

10. Top Of Page | #236

User Info Menu

Small update

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...055ae1f2cc.jpg

Nice plate it reminds me of my old cali muscle cars I had to get rid of when I moved.

11. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #237

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Nice plate it reminds me of my old cali muscle cars I had to get rid of when I moved.

Thanks hopefully they will be put to use soon as the engine for that beast has been sitting for over a year now . Good news those is I am shaving rotating mass on the engine assembly. Light weight flywheel, crank and pull. I haven’t added it up but almost 20lbs in reduction for rotational mass. Should make it good for the twisties and autocross.

Rock on

13. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Doppelganger, Alin liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #238

User Info Menu

Thanks hopefully they will be put to use soon as the engine for that beast has been sitting for over a year now . Good news those is I am shaving rotating mass on the engine assembly. Light weight flywheel, crank and pull. I haven’t added it up but almost 20lbs in reduction for rotational mass. Should make it good for the twisties and autocross.

Nice I'm sure it will make a difference.
    I have a act street light flywheel and grim speed crank pulley for my build as well and am hoping it makes a big difference.

I know the flywheel alone made a huge difference and I bounced the rev limiter on the first WOT pull I did lol.

15. Top Of Page | #239

User Info Menu

Small update

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...055ae1f2cc.jpg

Love the plate, I've never had a vanity plate but might look into this time around. Best of luck with your rebuild, have you decided on valves yet?

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324