GD George's cars (Retired)

Bluedemon_II

George;

I will be tuning a Atp 3071R by the first week of feb. Will let you know my end results. Still the owner of the car doesn't want more then 350whp for now because he is on the stock clutch.

EviljokerSTi

I'll be building it myself but i'm gonne get an empty block and send it out to be machined. IDK if i should do the heads though, I was thinking of just doing Springs retainers and valves but then why go through that trouble and not do cams but i cant justify the 1100 price tag for just the cams

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
George;

I will be tuning a Atp 3071R by the first week of feb. Will let you know my end results. Still the owner of the car doesn't want more then 350whp for now because he is on the stock clutch.

I would be very much interested in the results. :tup:

Maybe you could share your final WGDC table :D Currently mine looks WAAAYYYY different than any others I have seen. It works perfect for me but I'm not quite sure why mine ended up so different.

wastegate1.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you plan on staying near the power you have now I would suggest leaving stock cams. If you get longer duration higher lift cams you will lose bottom end. At the very least I would have the heads checked out and cleaned up. Have the valves lapped and the deck surfaced.

I'll be building it myself but i'm gonne get an empty block and send it out to be machined. IDK if i should do the heads though, I was thinking of just doing Springs retainers and valves but then why go through that trouble and not do cams but i cant justify the 1100 price tag for just the cams

EviljokerSTi

I want 500 to 520 would that be possible without doing headwork. iwould definitly get the heads resurficed with the block for sure. but is doing the headinternals besides cams worth it or should i do everything?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy I think you found a new friend. :) :welcome: Evil

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nuff said... Good info!

I want 500 to 520 would that be possible without doing headwork. iwould definitly get the heads resurficed with the block for sure. but is doing the headinternals besides cams worth it or should i do everything?

It is possible but you would be spending money else where to achieve the same goal IMO. Plus even if you don't see tremendous gains you will inevitably improve your overall performance and your resulting power curves will look better than a play boy model.

If your not replacing the cams you still get a benefit from doing the springs and retainers regardless. For one it will allow you to achieve a more reliable redline and may even allow you to increase your redline.

If you take Fuji's advice, These things also yield benefits even if you are not replacing the cam. He wrote a nice write up on building up heads that might prove useful to you.

I would say it is worth it.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well why didn't you say that, lol. I trust you. I will update the referral contest with you +1!

EviljokerSTi

The only parts that are cost effective when it comes to headwork are:
Cams
Bowl shaping
+1 mm valves
Angled valve seats.

CNC of the actual ports all the way through is worthless and reduces your stuctural integrity, making your heads more susceptible to coolant passages cracking open. the 07+ heads do flow a bit more than the 04-06 due to their design and it is possible to block off the avcs of you want to retain the stock ecu you currently have. There is actually a set of 08 heads with +1 mm valves for sale on nasioc right now. I can pm you the link if you want it. I can also point you at two different shops I would trust to do my headwork. One has a bit of a more cutting edge approach and the other is more of a cost efficient tried and true type shop. Been doing tons of research, and to me, yes headwork is worth it.

Thanks alot i appreciate the info. i'm gonna start compiling all the info i can before i start this. talking to some other people they all tell me the same thing, oversized valves and cams. and porting, now i just have to find a good shop in my area to do this

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I sorry!

I've been concentrating on TD_D's dilemma. He's having tuning woes not many people that can help him. And now JJ's got me a bit worried. He has pneumonia.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I guess I misunderstood what you said. :tard: It sounded like you said we didn't need to make any adjustments to latency or scale. I was curious because the data showed differently. I think if your fuel trim error slope is the same at the bottom as it is on the top then your latencies are good and injector and MAF scaling should be looked at now. If one of the latency numbers is not correct you won't know it unless you actually run the injectors at the specified voltage that is defined for a particular latency value. :tup:

I war you to know when we were tuning, injector scale and latency didn't have to be adjusted. Personally I think there is one latency value off, but I'll ferret that one out!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Subscribed! Don't worry, I'll hold an AMR T60r for you!! :)

Awesome man. I can't wait!!!

I deleted my initial intrusion in your thread because I realized you were not done posting all the great deals.

You really do have some of the greatest prices around and great service as well.

I'm trying to scrape up some more cash because I want the turbo tuff rods to.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ok, I get what you're saying. It's running fine on trims cause the way we tuned it, but it ain't sitting right with me. It's one of those funky things that isn't up to my high expectations. Looked for a netbook today so I could play with it some, but couldn't find one locally that met what I want. I'm going to let it be until I have someone in the right seat or driving that I trust. Real time adjustments are so much easier than logging and flashing over and over. If it is a latency issue, it will definitely rear it's ugly head when I add in some boost. By the end of the night I was telling the guy in the right seat what adjustments to make and when it blew past the boost limit table I knew exactly what happened and how to fix it. I'm surprised how fast I'm public all this up, but I want to take the tuning nice and slow so I get it right and learn all I can.

Well we kinda didn't finish what we needed to. All of that was to get the latency and scale right. The closed loop trims can be done in only one or two good logs. Plus closed loop trims can really only be done right through logging and compiling it in airboy's spreadsheet. It is the most accurate method and the most consistent IMO. During open loop is when you will benefit most from live tuning