GD George's cars (Retired)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
We were talking about it last night. I thought it would be funny to watch peoples expressions when they see the intercooler piping running to the front of the car through the usual places yet seeing no intercooler. We are now considering running the piping right into the fenders for even more of a stealth look.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I am reinspired to do a car PC. I remember Fuji talking about doing an In Car PC and I began to remember my old setup in my GTI. Well I now have the oportunity to do it again but this time I will be doing things differently. My plan here is to have a complete solution in one central spot. I need it to monitor my vehicle using the OBD2 port, Perform tuning functions, Be the entertainment system, Interface with my phone for hands free operation and finally Sat Nav GPS.

I will be making a series of custom full screen menus for the interface

Here is a list of key functions and parts to conclude the entire system.

Hardware...

- Laptop, Dell M70 with docking station - Purchased
- 7" VGA Touch screen monitor, Double DIN for dash radio location w/remote. - Purchased
- Boss Chaos 2000W 2ch amp - Purchased
- Boss CE1404 1400W 4ch amp - Purchased
- Kicker Subs - Purchased
- JBL P560C 6 1/2" component speakers - Purchased
- Pioneer TS-A1684R Speakers - Purchased
- Creative 5.1 surround USB sound card W/Remote - Purchased
- Globstat USB GPS Receiver - Purchased
- USB TV/FM Receiver
- Sirius SCC1 Satellite Receiver - Purchased
- USB Satellite Radio control interface for PC - Purchased
- Mini Bluetooth Keyboard - Purchased
- Optima battery and all the stuff to relocate to the trunk - Purchased

Software...

- Custom menus
- AEM Tuner (future)
- DashComander
- Microsoft Streets and Trips
- PhoneControl
- MrGadget's SCC1 tuner
- Media Center, XBMC

Here is a preview of the OBD2 gauges and a little teaser for you...

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
This is going to be awesome.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I made good progress with the PC. I have almost everything I need and I set up a mock up in my room. I managed to make the menu for the user interface and I think it came out pretty good for someone who doesn't know what he is doing. Check out the Video.

Here I used the touch pen that came with the monitor. It works perfectly fine if you use your fingers but for this demonstration my fat fingers kept pushing the display away from the camera so I opted to use the pen.

mms://www.drift-ready.com/DriftReady/CIMG07671.wmv

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Things I still have to do.

Setup a new SirusXM account and activate my Satellite Receiver
Purchase External USB DVD drive
Purchase USB TV/FM Receiver
Purchase Optima battery
Purchase parts to relocate battery to the trunk
Purchase extension USB cables and wiring
Purchase audio cables

I had to swap out the sound card I bought for one made by Creative. The original didn't have the inputs I needed for the Satellite receiver and my smart phone. This one is nice because it come with a remote to adjust volume and change DSP profiles.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So I made good progress with the PC. I have almost everything I need and I set up a mock up in my room. I managed to make the menu for the user interface and I think it came out pretty good for someone who doesn't know what he is doing. Check out the Video.

Here I used the touch pen that came with the monitor. It works perfectly fine if you use your fingers but for this demonstration my fat fingers kept pushing the display away from the camera so I opted to use the pen.

mms://www.drift-ready.com/DriftReady/CIMG07671.wmv

What HD is that? For boot time alone, have you considered a SSD?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What HD is that? For boot time alone, have you considered a SSD?

Yes actually... I just want to test the concept first before I buy anymore. Once I have settled in on the software and in-car placement, then I will move it all to a ssd drive and use the internal drive for music storage.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Okay.. Screw the custom menus :lol:

Just found an application called Cetrafuse Auto. All I can say is it does EVERYTHING in one package! A bit expensive but well worth it.

Also I am extemely happy with the Creative usb sound card. Holy shit I never knew the difference THX Surround makes. I can't wait to get true 5.1 surround in the car.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You know me... Stubborn and self sufficient :tup:

I'm very satisfied with the mock up right now. I'm not sure I have any other questions. What software solution did you end up with?

For your system did you go with a laptop or an AT platform. Right now all of my peripherals are all USB and Bluetooth and the only thing I don't like about it are the cables. I do like the fact that it all fits neatly underneath the passenger seat though

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Making progress... albeit little. I rubberized my trunk to reduce noise. Seemed to work real good. Also installed my battery relocation kit. Took me all day to do but was well worth it.

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Wow. Beautiful Holy.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you! How do you like that cable... Not only will it hold enough current to supply Chicago but it looks pretty to.:tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Probably... I know it'll run your Easy Bake oven :lol:

Sorry... it was to easy.