02 Frankensubie Monstrosity

SudoSTI

After reading through some other build threads I realized I never laid out what all specifically I used for my drivetrain swap into my 02 WRX. I did a ton of research and a bit of guess and check so I'm listing this info here for prosperity's sake in the event that someone wants to piece together a 6-speed swap using various years from both GD and GR. I am also including similar year ranges in parenthesis to aid in the search for proper parts.

My drivetrain is as follows:
- 08 STI transmission (08-15 STI should be identical, 6-speed Spec B should be the same but with super awesome longer gearing)
- 08 STI rear differential (06-15 STI, 6-speed Spec B rear diff gearing SHOULD all be identical, not 100% sure though)
- 06 STI OEM driveshaft (04-07 identical)
- 05 STI male/male front axles (05-07 identical)
- 06 STI rear axles (05-07 STI identical, from what I can tell the 04 rears are very slightly shorter to account for the shorter lateral links/narrower rear stance)
- 05 STI knuckles (05-07 STI identical)
- 05 STI Brembos (04-07 STI identical, just get the proper rotors for the proper lug pattern 04 vs 05-07)
- 05-07 Cusco coils (whichever brand/style as long as it's 05-07 STI fitment)
- 04 STI shift linkage (04-07 STI identical, 08+ technically can work in a GD but it will make shifter placement off e.g. neutral will look like the shifter is in 4th gear, with as cheap as they are just get the proper year range)
- 6-speed shift fork, fork shaft, and plug (I believe all STI 6-speed forks are identical)
- 06 OEM STI flywheel and ACT 6-speed clutch (5-speed clutch/flywheel set will work due to the 6-speed bell housing being larger, but I decided to install a new clutch while I was in there and opted for the proper 6-speed, especially since the torque rating for the same "stage" 5-speed clutch is lower than the 6-speed)

It didn't dawn on me until after I had already sold my WRX transmission that my STI sensors were clipped with no wire remaining and I forgot to remove my old ones from the WRX transmission. I used the following thread to decide to order 04 STI sensors based on my WRX ECU:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378904

Because I went with an 08+ STI transmission in my GD, I no longer had a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) because the CANBUS system of the 08+ models read vehicle speed via the ABS tone ring on the axle rather than a vehicle speed "gear" found within the transmission. I found a good deal on a used VSSPro from DCCDPro and picked that up. I will ultimately be switching to MapDCCD's unit because they plan on being able to ingrate it with their DCCD controller which I plan to get shortly down the road. This is spliced into an ABS sensor line and the line to the ECU that receives the signal to be sent to the speedo/tach. WITHOUT THIS UNIT THE VEHICLE WILL GO INTO LIMP MODE. *I am not affiliated with these companies, just trying to condense information.*

VSSPro:
http://dccdpro.com/product/vsspro/

MapDCCD VSS:
http://mapdccd.com/vss.html

I kept all subframes and whatnot the same. I reused my clutch slave/etc. I believe that's everything. If there are any further questions feel free to PM or post here.

Grinder34

Track Monkey

- 08 STI rear differential (06-15 STI, 6-speed Spec B rear diff SHOULD all be identical, not 100% sure though)

Nope, not all the same. Some are clutch, some are torsen.

SudoSTI

I was referring to gearing matching up. I should clarify that though, thanks. Which are which? Isn't the 06 the clutch and 07+ Torsen? Not sure what the Spec B ones are.

SudoSTI

I found out the other day that the ceramic coater my fab guy sent my uppipe to won't be running black ceramic coat until Thursday, after which he still needs to fab the dump tube and last intercooler pipe coming off the turbo over to the fender well. Needless to say I am a bit irate. Supposedly it will be ready on Friday but he's pushed the date back enough I'm not sure how true that will be.

Here's my fuel system though. I'm keeping the stock JDM fuel rails for now but was worried about overloading the FPR so I picked this up off my buddy for cheap and ordered a Tomei FPR adapter and all the fittings I would need. I'm also running generic fuel hose for the time being as well. When I get rails I'll probably switch to Push-Lok hose. It looks cleaner and more OEM to me which I like.

SudoSTI

Apparently the TGV-less JDM manifolds turned into gold right after I bought mine because I don't think I've seen one since for less than $550, and that's stripped. I got mine for $325 shipped that included everything minus the wiring harness, including JDM pink injectors, throttle body, all sensors, etc. After I sold the injectors and my old parts I ended up making a few hundred dollars and upgrading. :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You got a good deal and it was money well spent! :tup:

Yeah it sickens me how greedy people get. It is not worth the extra few CFM over the TGV version for me to pay the money they are asking these days. I just hope people buying these realize the same thing and pass. From an aesthetic point of view it would be worth it to do just to clean up the engine bay and show the car, but to buy one now for the sole purpose of performance doesn't make a prudent choice. For the money they are expecting, if I was in the market for a different manifold, I would pay the extra money and get one of the process west manifolds... Have you seen those mothers of all beauty!

SudoSTI

Ooooooh yeah. That's the goal. If I had the money to burn I would get the Process West for sure. Although Tigwerks is currently designing one. I'm curious to see how it turns out. Last I saw it's probably going to be a dual plenum style similar to the AMS one that went almost all the way through R&D before they scrapped it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would like to see tigwerks as well.

Me and my fabricator friend are designing an integrated manifold and AWIC. Primarily for my car, but if it turns out good we may consider selling them under his business. we will be designing two versions... One for tgv's and one that eliminated the tgv's and accommodates top feed injectors.

Me and my fabricator friend are designing an integrated manifold and AWIC. Primarily for my car, but if it turns out good we may consider selling them under his business. we will be designing two versions... One for tgv's and one that eliminated the tgv's and accommodates top feed injectors.

AWIC!!? I'll take one.

SudoSTI

TGV-less of course. :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice. We love ours.

Make sure you keep it on a battery tender.

SudoSTI

It's been tough finding time to work on this beast what with school taking up so much time. I managed to get the weekend to work on it and knocked out half of my odds and ends to do list. I'm hoping to find some time next weekend to button up the last of my list and start e-tuning. It isn't pretty, but it ought to be functional. I'm definitely going to redo a lot of the vacuum hoses, fuel lines, and wiring at a later date to clean it all up.

SudoSTI

Found a guy in western WA willing to come to me to trade his carbon fiber RS (scoopless) hood for my WRX hood with JDM STI scoop. I want to delete the scoop but not a fan of carbon and couldn't afford to paint it for a while. Opinions?