02 wrx engine build

saintswrx

Hey guys so here is my story I have an 02 wrx which I spun a bearing. So I was going to swap it with a used ej205 I found in town, well it turned out that engine also had a spun bearing. I had the shop rebuild that engine with acl bearings and new rings (was super broke so couldn?t afford better internals). Well to cut a short story long after 4 month I still didn?t have my car done so I took my engine and car to another shop to finish dropping the engine in. On the startup it ran for 30sec then the cam gear shattered, we assumed it had cracks in it ?but after for inspection down the road found the cam caps were put in wrong? after swapping my other set of heads on and re starting found the engine has knock in the bottom end so something is incorrect in there. So at this point I?m done with the engine I?m getting a ej25 engine and crank from the new shop for a great deal. I?m going to use my 2.0l heads and put forged internals in ?eagle rods. wesico pistions?. The point of all this is I want to know if there is anything I should know or worry about on this engine set up? I?ve been reading a lot on the forum but I figured it wouldn?t hurt to ask as well. I want to make sure my car will not have any problems after this. My mod list is as fallows
walbro 255 fuel pump
1000cc injectors
20g turbo
Custom cold air intake, TGV deletes
Unequal length header, upipe, downpipe, 3in exhaust
Tuned on E85

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The only thing I have for you is if you are building a hybrid 2.5 with 2.0 heads, remember to use head gaskets to match heads. The same thing with cam gear seals and other head related gaskets. :tup:

Also when you put it all together check the head mating surface for straightness. Make sure each mating surface is completely clean and free from oil or dirt and don't scrap the surfaces clean. To correct the surface I tape some 800 grit sand paper to a flat glass surface and drag the head over the sand paper till all blemishes are gone. If there is warpage then you will have to have them resurfaced by a machinist. Torque all your head bolts to spec and do not reuse the old bolts. The torquing sequence is nuts.

saintswrx

im having a shop about 20 miles away do it. The mechanic that is doing my car has a completely built 02 wrx he did all the work himself. So i feel safe with him.

Vermont

One thing I have seen before with these hybrid builds is that if you are keeping the 2.0 heads stock then you will run into problems later down the road with the heads not flowing enough. I would suggest a mild PnP job on the heads at least.... If you lack the money that is understandable just realize that this may affect your power goals later on down the road. I doubt the 20g will out flow them but I know anything around the size of a 30r will start to cause you problems. I am also wondering if the 1000cc will be enough for e85 on a ej25 block with a 20g.... Not sure on that one....