02 wrx, sti swap

Casey

This is more of a question than a how to guide -.- I just couldn't find the proper place to ask it.
If i were to buy an sti motor/transmission from ebay would it be as easy as pulling my old wrx motor/tranny and putting the new set up in? Or is there a lot more to it? Do i need a new cpu and fuel pump ect.?
I've never done an engine swap before i have an 02 wrx wagon let me know please if you've ever done the swap and what it takes thank you.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have never done a swap, but from what i have read, here is an example. If you were to put an 04 sti engine and trans in your wagon, then you would need all the supporting pieces such as an ecu. Someone more knowledgable will chime in! :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You would need the ECU from an 04 because it doesn't have the immobilizer and you would need the DCCD module for the transmission as well as the wire harness for both. Beyond that you may need new drive shafts and or wheel hubs because I believe the STi transmission has different dimensions.

I did do an entire STi drive-train swap in an 04 wrx an we had to make a hybrid half-shaft by piecing together a shaft with the sti CV joint on the tranny/diff side and the WRX CV joint on the wheel side so we used the stock hub. If you are going to do it right you should find someone selling the entire drive-train including shafts and wheel hubs because the sti wheel hubs can handle the added stress. :tup:

Last edited: