'04 STI block, broke rod/bearing?

Chaffke

Little engine back story first. Bought a fairly modded '04 WRX Impreza with an EJ257 swap, 2.0 heads, and then added a few mods myself (AOS, Inlet Hose, TGV Deletes, and an Intake Manifold).

So I'm driving down my local hwy in 5th cruising, throw it into N to coast onto the off ramp, and I hear a super loud clank and the car shuts off. It manages to coast to a safe area, I crank it back up fine, but notice the oil light is now on. I luckily some spare oil in the trunk. throw it in and crank it, sounds okay, let it run for another 5-10min then drive home. As I'm making my last turn into my complex it does it again... I proceeded to push it into my parking spot, and now when I start it (no ignition problems, cranks over fine) it sounds like something is shooting around back and forth inside, it also speeds up with my accelerator (bout a 1sec lag time from when press and depress my accelerator).

I'm fairly certain it's either a thrown rod, or a broken bearing. I've not had it looked at yet, but called a local trusted shop and the guy agreed off what I explained to him, and got quoted "roughly 10k" for a pullout, rebuild, and install/tune. They want 2k just to pull it out and inspect, which is suppose is reasonable since these engines are a bit of a pain to work on...

I'm just not sure what to do since I owe a little under 10k on my loan, just a crappy situation, and I was wondering what kind of advice this community could give me. Any advice is appreciated.

Oh, and I've looked into buying a new short block myself, lowest i can find is 1800-2100 for a new one. Just really unsure what to do!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First thing I would do is a compression check ASAP.

Chaffke

Thanks, due to my lack of knowledge I'll probably take it to a Jiffy/Pep Boys, unless you suggest another avenue to help me?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks, due to my lack of knowledge I'll probably take it to a Jiffy/Pep Boys, unless you suggest another avenue to help me?

Where you from?

We maybe able to point you to someone we know.

Chaffke

Okay, thanks again, I'll call them tomorrow and check back in. I can't really drive it up there so I'll be looking into towing as well I suppose haha.

irishdave

I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me back in Dec. My car is currently in the shop getting a new motor built. I hope it all works out for you.

imprezed04

To put this all into perspective for you.. First, an STI block can be pulled in about an hour by anyone who knows basics about these cars. Second, you can check most of the problems yourself. Third, 10k is WAY too expensive. I completed a full build on an EJ205 for 4800. That included removal, machine work, new parts, installation. I spent another 150 for base (safe) tune. So all in all about 1/2 what you were quoted for your repairs. A new long block is less than what they're quoting. You can pick them up from Subaru for about 6000.. Personally I would tell that first shop, good luck staying in business.

Chaffke

Talked to them today, definitely cheaper, Daniel quoted me at abotu 425 for the Compression Test/Drip Down Test and Oil Pan Check together. Even said they have a cheap towing company for my transfer of it. Pretty stoked, and I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again!

imprezed04

Talked to them today, definitely cheaper, Daniel quoted me at abotu 425 for the Compression Test/Drip Down Test and Oil Pan Check together. Even said they have a cheap towing company for my transfer of it. Pretty stoked, and I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again!

I'm just glad we were able to help you get back on the road without signing over a first born. Lol.

RallySoob

bummer man. I just went through the same ordeal in my 06 STi. I got quote for 7500 for new oem long block from subaru and then about another 5 grand in other parts to make it jive like the turbo and what not. I ended up spending well over 15K on my build not counting some parts I replaced that I did not need to.

After looking around I fund there is a lot of ways to go about it and spend much less than I did. But I believe getting an oem replacement is the best choice regarding the bottom end unless you plan to split the case for any reason like upgrading the crank,rods etc. I feel safer knowing Subaru built my motor but thats just me. BEcause I only went for a stage 2 build with 315awhp. If I wanted more than that I would much rather get a rebuilt but upgraded motor for the same price or less.

I found a raced out short block at PRE racing in pdx oregon for 5500 afterwards and that hurt to see. Oh well, who knows, it may have had opened up a can of worms on me. I got 5K miles on my new motor with no complaints and its way faster than before. I did blouch 18g-xt turbo which is great but to be honest I think the stock turbo was better. This one pulls harder of course but the stock turbo spools so fast and just rocks on the autocross track. The orchestration of the stock parts has a lot of research into it and I won a lot of races using it. After all said and done, stock or near stock is best imo. Unless you have unlimited cash to spend on tinkering then go for the gold lol. But if its a daily driver then it seems building it like one is the smartest route.

whatever you do...good luck man. I seriously feel for you. I just wanted to puke when it happened to me. Also, left me carless for a while which royally sucked

Chaffke

Been a while but I got a quote back from Turbo Time, it was indeed a snapped rod... but it'll be a little over 5k for a rebuilt. and to just replace the broken portions and use the same block it'll be 4200. So I'm thinking just do a whole new block rebuilt. gladly my turbo and other mods are still operational so thats good haha. thanks again guys, and I'll keep you posted on the rest of the progress.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That seems like a reasonable price :tup: Hope it all gets sorted out soon!

Chaffke

So after a few weeks of hagles with AER and help from Daniel at TT, I should be picking it up this Friday or early next week. I'm pretty stoked! Thanks again you guys for the recommendation and the help, Hopefully ill have a photo posted for you guys after i get it.