06 sti popping noise under WOT. help troubleshooting

Karlot

This started two days ago shortly after i launched it, it was a clean launch and i let off after 2nd. Anyway it started making a new, unusual noise. it sounds like a poping noise, only under wide open throttle, sounds similar to a backfire, but it happens at wide open throttle at like 3krpm in 1st gear. 4k in 2nd. And around 5k in third. It hasnt happened in 4th-6th And today i was weaving side to side and noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel but only turning left. I know it's not the map, i have already tried changing that. I just am getting worried about what it is. I wanna figure it out and fix it asap
Oh and it comes from under the hood, left (driver) side. (Opposite side of turbo)
im worried it could be an axle, but im not sure how to troubleshoot that. Anyone got ideas???

i have checked the tightness of the entire suspension, i have checked the axles too. everything seems to be in order. it doesnt seem to be coming from the motor, just something around it that i can not isolate.

car details : 2006 STi. 60000 miles
Mods: cobb intake, invidia TBE, cobb tune, tein coilovers, 24mm whiteline sways with kartboy endlinks (f+r) extended wheel studs with 10mm spacers (still stock bbs wheels)
progress.gif

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've heard of swaybars/endlinks binding and popping, but I think people usually describe that as a "clunk". It also wouldnt make as much sense for it to be swaybars when in a straight line...

Is the issue pretty much 100% repeatable, or does it only happen some of the times at WOT?

Karlot

anytime i go WOT. it happens. but i checked the endlinks and one of the bolts i can spin, even though its tight, the other 3 i cant. my friend thinks it's that because its only one pop. and when i hit the gas it pops as the front end drops back down and the weight shifts back to the front, which could explain why it's only one pop, and only in lower gears. i plan on picking up a better set of endlinks than what i have now and seeing if that fixes the issue. im gonna pick that up with my tax refund. should be in the next week or two.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
How low is your ride height? I've heard stories about axle nuts making this noise....and potential damage
to the axle under hard acceleration because lowering the car extensively puts the axles out of parallel with
the ground which adds more stress. Idk if this would be the case at all, but if so, you can put the geometry
back into proper alignment by adding a roll center kit.

Karlot

im pretty low as of now. lol. you can see pics of my car here http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5452-new-guy-from-gainesville-va
i will probably raise it up a lil bit, but not much. what is a roll center kit, and where would i buy one? and how do i check the axle nuts? i have heard of either axle nuts or possibly sway bar endlinks causing this noise. if it were endlinks i would think that it could be when the weight shifts back it takes pressure off the endlinks up front, and when the pressure drops back to the front, it causes the poping noise. and if i have to replace axle nuts, roughly how much money am i looking at?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It's called an RCA. Whiteline makes one. I have it.
However, it only realigns your steering arms for correct geometry in relation to chassis. It's basically for bump steer elimination or mitigation.

Karlot

im not really having a bump steer issue. i think imma replace the endlinks and see if that fixes the issue. if not. can i replace just the axle nut.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ DAAAAAMN, I can imagine that would pop loud as ****! Glad you figured it out.

Airpig

I've got to add a bit of gee whiz info here. Did you know that the boot on the cv joint will keep the axle aligned in a great deal of cases masking a joint issue? Quick story, my wife's Saab 92x Aero had a ripped boot but was intact. Eventually a rock got in there and fudged a few things up and created issues. The car started to create a vibration under moderate throttle and eventually got to a point hardly any throttle could be used. Felt like a harmonic balancer went and spun....but there is no balancer...ok, felt like the flywheel had broken or a clutch misaligned or even a driveshaft twisted but none of the above happened. It was just under throttle the cv joint boot would allow the axle to misalign and the whole engine and transmission would feel like it was trying to jump out of the car but coasted fine. It even turned without popping. Found an axle on ebay for $50 bucks. Sprayed everything with PBblaster a few days before and had the old axle out and new one in during an argument with the wife over money in under an hour. Despite the argument which is way better now haha, car drives as it should. Hit me up with any issues or tips to get it done.