10 used cars you should probably own

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
And look what made the list. It was the last car picked on the list! 04 FTW BABY!

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

Cost: $16,000-$25,000
Why: The first-year of Subaru's rally-inspired WRX STI stuffs 300 hp and an impressive all-wheel-drive system into the restrained and practical Impreza sedan. Few cars yield the STI's combination of high performance and four-door utility.

The inconsistent availability of Subarus in various U.S. markets means that used pricing is all over the place, but look to spend at or near $20,000 for an example with fewer than 100,000 miles on the clock. Lower-mileage 2004 examples can climb into the mid-$20,000 range: impressive considering the $31,525 MSRP of a new 2004 STI. The 2004 STI did more than establish Subaru with American enthusiasts; it created an entirely new segment of performance car made to handle alternative roads and weather. And families fit, too.

Grab a 2004 STI now before it is officially deemed a modern classic.

428704ac-6078-4ce6-80ad-a0ff00408eb0_2004_subaru_impreza_f34_fe_329131_717.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Here's one that should make the list.

VW Passat/Jetta/etc. *with the 1.8T TDI* turbo diesel.
OUTSTANDING fuel ecomony and has enjoyable low end torque.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Here's one that should make the list.

VW Passat/Jetta/etc. *with the 1.8T TDI* turbo diesel.
OUTSTANDING fuel ecomony and has enjoyable low end torque.

You mean 1.9L TDI, right?

I have a 2000 jetta thats a TDI.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You mean 1.9L TDI, right?

I have a 2000 jetta thats a TDI.

LOL No, actually I meant the 1.8T TDI. BUT I wasn't aware there was also a 1.9L TDI sooo......my bad. LOL

Let's just say, VW cars with TDI engines. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
LOL No, actually I meant the 1.8T TDI. BUT I wasn't aware there was also a 1.9L TDI sooo......my bad. LOL

I wasnt aware there was a 1.8L TDI!!! What years have them???

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'd have to look it up to be totally sure, but I know that all the 90's TDI's were 1.8L Turbo, direct injected diesels and badged with 1.8T TDI. Some didn't say 1.8T, as some of the same years had the 1.8T gasoline turbo motor. The later models had simply (on a Jetta for example) JETTA (drivers side) and TDI (passenger side) on the trunk. From a basic web search, it looks like the 1.9L TDI came out in the mid 2000's.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'd have to look it up to be totally sure, but I know that all the 90's TDI's were 1.8L Turbo, direct injected diesels and badged with 1.8T TDI. Some didn't say 1.8T, as some of the same years had the 1.8T gasoline turbo motor. The later models had simply (on a Jetta for example) JETTA (drivers side) and TDI (passenger side) on the trunk. From a basic web search, it looks like the 1.9L TDI came out in the mid 2000's.

Well there we go! We were both correct! :lol: have you had a TDI in the past?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
No, I wish though. My dad was a big Volkswagen fan for many years. His last VW, a 94 Passat GLX VR6 (awesome motor btw), had about 160,000 miles on it when he got rid of it...which I believe was in 2004. The car was in outstanding shape, but many VW's are known for electrical issues especially when on in years. It could have been a wonderful car for maybe another 10 years or at least another 75,000 miles. Every damn electrical headache you could think of was setting in...smh. My biology teacher, who was a long time friend of my dad, had the exact same Passat as my dad but with the TDI motor (both were 5-speed stick btw). He recorded some AMAZING mpg numbers....I remember one being 67 mpg....but he stressed that he "babied it the whole way". Keep in mind though, the mid 90's models were WAY lighter than today's models. I've had a few friends since then that have had them. I've driven them a couple times. I'd love to have one to be honest. It'd be my DD and the Batmobile would become a frankenstein apocalypse project.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No, I wish though. My dad was a big Volkswagen fan for many years. His last VW, a 94 Passat GLX VR6 (awesome motor btw), had about 160,000 miles on it when he got rid of it...which I believe was in 2004. The car was in outstanding shape, but many VW's are known for electrical issues especially when on in years. It could have been a wonderful car for maybe another 10 years or at least another 75,000 miles. Every damn electrical headache you could think of was setting in...smh. My biology teacher, who was a long time friend of my dad, had the exact same Passat as my dad but with the TDI motor (both were 5-speed stick btw). He recorded some AMAZING mpg numbers....I remember one being 67 mpg....but he stressed that he "babied it the whole way". Keep in mind though, the mid 90's models were WAY lighter than today's models. I've had a few friends since then that have had them. I've driven them a couple times. I'd love to have one to be honest. It'd be my DD and the Batmobile would become a frankenstein apocalypse project.

My dad grew up with german cars. So hes always had a vw audi mercedes bmw or porsche. Right now he has the 2000 TDI and a 1998 audi a8. My mom has a 2006 jetta wolfsburg. And i have a slow car! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Who would of thought there's a couple VW fans on this site, and we're both moderators. :rofl:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Who would of thought there's a couple VW fans on this site, and we're both moderators. :rofl:

Heres a kicker!

The car i started learning to drive at 15.5 was a 1998 vw jetta wolfsburg. The car i had and traded in for the STi was a 2001 vw golf 2.0L n/a 5spd. Also the car i learned manual on. Vw has a place in my heart as well! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
HAHAHAHAAA Awesome! I learned to drive a stick on that 94 Passat. Mannnn ohhh man, that VR6 motor is wonderful.

I wanna get one someday and boost it. I've seen ridiculous power output numbers from very reasonable boost levels.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
HAHAHAHAAA Awesome! I learned to drive a stick on that 94 Passat. Mannnn ohhh man, that VR6 motor is wonderful.

I never experienced the VR6 but like you say its so amazing; everyone says the same thing!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Cool design too. If I remember correctly, 15 degrees between cylinders, versus 60 or 90 in most V engines. (2.8L V6)
This also made the block lighter and allows it to be put into smaller engine bays.

EDIT: The W12 (6.0L twin-turbo), in the Bentley Continental GT for example, is basically two VR6 engines fused together.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Cool design too. If I remember correctly, 15 degrees between cylinders, versus 60 or 90 in most V engines. (2.8L V6)
This also made the block lighter and allows it to be put into smaller engine bays.

EDIT: The W12 (6.0L twin-turbo), in the Bentley Continental GT for example, is basically two VR6 engines fused together.

FUUUUUUU...... SIIOOOONNNNNNNN....... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

:lol: :tup:

So fused together and then twin turboed?