2.5 Swap into a 2004 WRX.

R3V

I'll lead with this: This is not my car. The car belongs to a very good friend of mine who I want to help guide in the best way possible. He's not a big forum guy, so I wanted to pose this question/dilemma to the guru's on here for feedback.

The low down: His 2.0 finally kicked it at 110,000 miles of stage 2+. He was in the process of getting it tuned for a FMIC, ID1000's, TGV Deletes, Blouch 18G-XT, TBE, Fuel Pump, and EWG. He's working on a, roughly, 5K budget with which to get a new *safe* motor into his car. It will be a 2.5l, and currently the options are a stock longblock direct from Subaru (he can get it at cost) or a semi-built new longblock. I have an email currently out to Element Tuning to see if there is something they have that can meet his needs. I would like to see him end up with a full longblock that will be safe for his mods rather than just throwing in a stock motor and calling it a day.

Suggestions?

R3V

Parts, we have 4 people all who have installed motors before and a good relationship with his tuner. The idea is to get it to come pre-assembled.

R3V

Yup, I stand by my first recommendation of talking to element tuning. That's the closest engine builder to you that I would use at least. Honestly, if he's on a tight budget like that, why is he wanting the 2.5? I know a little about those older ones... But I'd rather have a forged 2.3 than a crappy 2.5.

I guess because he want's an STI motor and it's more comforting buying something new. I know jack about the 2.3.

I say rebuild it .. fuck the 2.5 after hearing he just wants this as a intermediate step to get back up and running now. That will be the cheapest option for short term. I am not a fan of short term though ... thats how you end up spending more money than necessary.

R3V

I say rebuild it .. fuck the 2.5 after hearing he just wants this as a intermediate step to get back up and running now. That will be the cheapest option for short term. I am not a fan of short term though ... thats how you end up spending more money than necessary.

I actually just talked to him about that. He said no 2.0l, and that he wants to do a build on this motor (the 2.5) down the road. Right now he just needs it safe for his power.

Ok then stock 2.5 from Subaru (MAYBE some pistons to hold him over) ... pretty safe at 400. You can show him my pistons if you want. And since his trans right now has him stuck at 300-350 then that is 100% the cheapest and best answer. THen he has a nice new 2.5 to start from when he wants to really build it.