20G or Dom 1.5?

ZackUSAF82

So while I'm getting ready to do suspension upgrades, I figured I'd pose the question on the turbo upgrade path in case I go that route next year. So I've pretty much narrowed it down to a stock location replacement and either the 20G or the Dom 1.5. All my research is pushing me towards the Dom due to it being able to hold power better on the high end and it generally seems to make more power than the 20G. Price difference isn't much so I figured I'd just ask for personal opinions for those that have either of these turbos so I can make a good choice. Not 100% certain I'm going this route but I'm the type of guy that likes to plan things out wayyyy in advance. Thanks for the help!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dom 3!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The Dominator!

ZackUSAF82

Thanks for confirming my though path on the Dom, pretty sure that's what I'll go with but I'm in no rush...I know once I go this path it speeds up me building my engine so I think I'll likely wait until the fall or early next year.

As far as the Dom 3, I really don't want that big of a turbo, I'm absolutely comfortable with the power levels the 1.5 will get me and if I want more power I'll go corn after I build my engine...plus I am trying to avoid lag as much as possible. Thanks again for the insight guys!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I don't think the Dom 1.5 is really in the same league as the 30r, 35r and Dom 3.

I'd say the Dom 1.5 will be more responsive and provide a bit better low/mid power. The 30r should be a bit better in the upper revs. Not really sure about the 35r vs Dom 3 but if I had to venture a guess I'd say the 35r would be a bit better in power but at the expense of some spool time and lower rpm power.

Not really a big turbo guy for these cars. I prefer the smaller ones that spool faster. I'd say the 20g and Dom 1.5 are about as large as I would ever go. Maybe the 2.5 but that's a stretch for me.
After all, it's not the size of your pickle but how you use it, right? :lol:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Back when i'd done my research on turbos, i'd come up with this list:
20G-xt-r
Dom 1.5 XTR
GT3071R
CXR500
FP68HTA

I dont remember anything about those now, but they were after browsing power journals on another forum.

I'd also add to that list now the rebuilt stock turbo with billet wheel.

I really can't offer anything more, sorry! Hopefully i gave you some food for thought.

Well thanks for your guys opinions because I always find it interesting to see what people think when it comes to the turbos.

When I eventually upgrade turbo it will probably be a rotated gt30r but the Borg Warner's also have some impressive numbers and boost response.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have a stock location GT3071r and it makes good power. At first, I was afraid it would be too big for my liking
and be pretty laggy, but I went with it anyway because I got it brand new in the box for 1/2 price. It has not
disappointed me. It is capable of power that met my goals and it spools just fine. It doesn't take long to get used
to where (in the rpm band) your turbo spools and when it doubt, shift down. The 3076r should have a little more
top end, but with a 30r turbo, I wanted the faster spool, hence the 3071r.

Have you considered a twin scroll turbo? Personally, I like the UEL header's exhaust note, but if you have a little extra
money to spend and want GREAT spool, look at a twin scroll.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. I opted for power and have a "blowzilla" which is essentially a gt40. If you fo rotated i rec. the borg warner airwerks 300 series. If you want responsiveness for like autocross or something i would go kinugawa 20g. I'm not a big believer in spending over 1k on a turbo unless its something great like the borg warner efr twin scroll that has a boost controller and bpv built in

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Holy jeeebuz Fuji, a Blowzilla?! Isn't it a bit laggy? What is your peak boost target and at what rpm do you hit full boost?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Though I have the GT3071, I've always been a fan of the TD06-20G. I know a guy that does nothing but Auto-X, all the time, and
he is in love with his TD05-18G-XT-R (XT-has billet compressor wheel, R-indicates ball bearing.).

Last edited:
Back when i'd done my research on turbos, i'd come up with this list:
20G-xt-r
Dom 1.5 XTR
GT3071R
CXR500
FP68HTA

I dont remember anything about those now, but they were after browsing power journals on another forum.

I'd also add to that list now the rebuilt stock turbo with billet wheel.

I really can't offer anything more, sorry! Hopefully i gave you some food for thought.

I vote 20GXT. The XTR has a smaller compressor the last I remembered and doesn't have as much on the top end. It's the sweet spot in my book. I want ~440whp on a dyno that does ~225-230whp stock. It's been years since I spent months researching. All of those turbos were out when I did my build and the 20g-xt seemed like it has the best balance with an 8cm turbine housing. I'll post my 93 octaine dyno when COBB uploads it. It did 351whp with 19psi. The turbo's sweet spot is ~26. Should be able to do ~400whp on 93 and 440whp+ on E85. :D

That's well over 500 hp at the crank. Any thing bigger would sacrifice low end power and boost, anything smaller would run out of breath by 5k, and I wanted it to peak ~6k.

It's all about what you want from the car. I tried to match my turbo as best as I could with the car's attributes and gearing. I wanted what I felt was the best balance in a turbo, any deviation one way or another would change what's the "best". Though things have probably changed in the past couple of years as to what's best. :)